FORUMS: list search recent posts

RAID permissions

COW Forums : RAID Set-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Thomas Morter-Laing
RAID permissions
on Jun 15, 2011 at 9:51:34 am

We have an office where there are three macs, which are connected via ethernet to a patch, which then connects us to a RAID (its RAID5). This RAID is actually a PC with an 8TB array, but we are accessing it remotely so it looks like a server on our macs. The problem is, the permissions are set in such a way that the only mac which can delete a folder from it is the mac the folder was created on. Are these permissions set on the PC or do you think it's something which can be controlled from the mac?

:D
Tom Morter-Laing
Freelance Editor,
Certified Apple Product Proffessional, 2010
http://www.depictproductions.co.uk

Sony Z5, with Rode NTG2.
iMac 27" intel i7 2.93GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI HD5750 [1GB GDDR5], 2TB Int. SATA with 2TB External HDD; (FW800), with Elgato Turbo H264HD.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: RAID permissions
on Jun 16, 2011 at 3:31:22 am

you need to PAY for a network engineer, on how to change the permissions of the server, or of the way the clients write the files to the server.

the MAC's will typically write file permissions, so that the owner (the person creating the file) has read, write an execute permissions, but the staff has read and execute, but no write, and "others" can have read and execute, or "no access".

See, this server stuff is complicated. There are lots of network guys that you can hire to help you.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Steve Tharp
on Jun 18, 2011 at 12:44:35 am

Thomas, I have a couple different solutions for you.

Solution 1: It sounds like you're not needing any permissions based management at all (eg. I am Person X and I want to delete Person Y's files / folders.) If this is the case simply have everyone log onto that storage / server as the same user and have that user take ownership of the entire volume. This would eliminate the permissions issue (definitely not the most secure, but for a 3 bay shop, completely doable.)

Solution 2: Use OpenDirectory / ActiveDirectory to manage your users and permissions. You can then create a user group that has Read/Write/Delete privileges on a volume and then assign users to that group. (This would involve more complexity than a 3 bay shop needs in my opinion)

Thanks,

Steve Tharp
Art Director
Point7West
http://point7west.com

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jun 18, 2011 at 2:39:16 pm

Steve writes -
Solution 2: Use OpenDirectory / ActiveDirectory to manage your users and permissions. You can then create a user group that has Read/Write/Delete privileges on a volume and then assign users to that group. (This would involve more complexity than a 3 bay shop needs in my opinion)

This is what I am normally doing now, thanks to the guys on the Apple XSAN forum (even if I don't use XSAN). Build an OS-X Server, create an open directory, create a group in Workgroup manager, drag that group (which includes all your users) into the ACL list, and give the group Read & Write permissions. Now, everyone has the ability to do anything.

If you want more detailed information on exactly how to do this, just email me off list at maxavid@cfl.rr.com

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]