FORUMS: list search recent posts

Questions about Raid, firewire, and storage

COW Forums : RAID Set-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Romeo Rubio
Questions about Raid, firewire, and storage
on May 29, 2011 at 9:08:00 am

I have two questions. Is there a speed benefit with using raid0, specifically a g-raid, connected with firewire over a single external drive connected with firewire. It seems like from performance notes on raids and single drives that one only gets speed benefits with using a raid with eSATA. I have an 2010 iMac, and if what I write is correct, then getting something like a g-raid would not be anymore beneficial than getting another regular external HD since I am not able to use eSATA.

As for my second question, I currently have one 1TB Lacie d2 Quadra which I'm using as a scratch disc for FCP. It is now 90% full. I am looking for more storage and also to back up all my stuff (internal and external). I was thinking maybe another 1TBish firewire drive for scratch and then a cheap high capacity usb drive to back up all the drives. What do you guys think? Money is an issue so the cheaper the better. Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Jon Schilling
Re: Questions about Raid, firewire, and storage
on Jun 2, 2011 at 4:35:19 pm

Romeo,

I've noticed that nobody has addressed your post yet, so I figured I would do what I could to help.

You asked: Is there a speed benefit with using raid0, specifically a g-raid, connected with firewire over a single external drive connected with firewire. It seems like from performance notes on raids and single drives that one only gets speed benefits with using a raid with eSATA. I have an 2010 iMac, and if what I write is correct, then getting something like a g-raid would not be anymore beneficial than getting another regular external HD since I am not able to use eSATA.

Answer: Yes, there is a benefit with FireWire in sustained performance across the 2 drives, as opposed to a single drive, (which the performance of the drive is not nearly as sustained) and you'll obviously have a larger working capacity than with a single drive. Do bear in mind though that in RAID 0 if a drive fails, you have no protection and you'll lose the array if a drive fails.

You also asked: I currently have one 1TB Lacie d2 Quadra which I'm using as a scratch disc for FCP. It is now 90% full. I am looking for more storage and also to back up all my stuff (internal and external). I was thinking maybe another 1TBish firewire drive for scratch and then a cheap high capacity usb drive to back up all the drives

Answer: You could certainly do what you want to do, or you could go with a 2 bay RAID 1 product like the STARDOM SR2 that has RAID 1 mirroring, so your data is always backed up on the 2nd drive automatically: http://www.stardom-usa.com/product_list.php?sno=0000137 although RAID 1 is slower than RAID 0 you do have automatic back-up of your data, with protection if one of the 2 drives fail.

Hope this helps.

Jonathan Schilling | Sales & Marketing Manager
RAIDON-USA Technology
STARDOM Storage by RAIDON since 2000
15356 East Valley Blvd., Suite B
City of Industry, CA 91746
Tel: 626-333-7888
http://www.stardom-usa.com

Jon Schilling COW LEADER - Stardom Storage Forum

Return to posts index

Ron Amborn
Re: Questions about Raid, firewire, and storage
on Jun 2, 2011 at 9:40:19 pm

Romeo
Please contact us privately and we can help you with a great solution. We have special discounts for cow members and Bob Zelin or myself will walk you through the different options. My email is ron@maxxdigital.com or our phone number is 714-374-4944.
http://www.maxxdigital.com

Sincerely,
Ron Amborn President
Maxx Entertainment Digital
21562 Newland Street
Huntington Beach , Ca 92646
Direct 714-374-4944
Cell 714-713-4492 Fax 714-374-3404
ron@maxxdigital.com
http://www.maxxdigital.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>