FORUMS: list search recent posts

Making Prores files with Avanti?

COW Forums : FFmpeg

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Graue
Making Prores files with Avanti?
on Jul 27, 2012 at 9:49:25 pm

I spent a solid day on it before accepting that I'm just too stupid to get FFmpeg to work in command line. I finally came across Avanti, a gui that supports it, and decided to go back in.

The main reason I need it is to make Prores files from my PC, but I can't seem to figure it out. Does anyone have any experience with this? Avanti asks only to put the FFmpeg.exe file into a certain directory, and then supposedly it works its magic, but I do not see prores as an option. I also dragged the presets over into the corresponding folder.

Return to posts index

stephen dixon
Re: Making Prores files with Avanti?
on Jul 28, 2012 at 1:15:32 pm

ffmpeg -i \path\to\your\movie.avi -vcodec prores -profile hq -acodec pcm_s16be \path\to\your\output\file.mov

easy peasy. The only bit you have to change is the path to your input and output. You can get this easily by typing the ffmpeg -i(space)bit and then dragging the file onto the command prompt window. Or you can change the working directory to the folder that the input file is in and then you'll only have to type the file name.

To change the working directory do

cd \path\to\the\directory

again, drag the folder after typing cd(space) and it will fill in the path for you.

Also you can use the tab completion function. So if you have a file called test_movie.avi in the current directory you can just type tand hit the tab key, and it will autocomplete (if there are more files that begin with t you can either keep hitting the tab key and it will cycle through all the possibilities, or you can type a bit more of the name to narrow down the choices.

Stephen Dixon
Editor, Animator, Motionographer
Museum Victoria

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]