FORUMS: list search recent posts

ffmpeg SDP file for Darwin Streaming Server

COW Forums : FFmpeg

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sarav Sandhu
ffmpeg SDP file for Darwin Streaming Server
on Apr 27, 2012 at 6:19:35 am

I am making a streaming server to view live video feed of my webcam on my mobile device.

I considered using ffmpeg , VLC and DSS and made the following setup that worked somewhat, though the frames were skipped :-

video4linux2 > ffserver > VLC transcoding > DSS

(RAW to ffserver) > (outputs to SDP link) > (SDP link to SDP file) > (SDP file to live streaming to mobile)

Later, on testing VLC i found to be very inefficient and slow on my Netbook(Intel Atom N480) as it skips lot of frames.

DSS can stream a SDP file from its /usr/local/movies(default).

And at the same time, ffmpeg's ffserver module can stream live feed to SDP link(not SDP file).

My requirement is that i need to create SDP file in DSS's /usr/local/movies directory so as to pass this DSS for streaming.

So, how to create a sdp file from ffmpeg or how to create SDP file from SDP link (without using VLC's trans-coding).

How to do that ?

Return to posts index

Reuben Martin
Re: ffmpeg SDP file for Darwin Streaming Server
on May 1, 2012 at 2:42:16 am

Why don't you just do :

video4linux2 > VLC stream live RTSP

I'm not totally sure you understand what SDP is. It's a Session Descriptor Protocol. It doesn't contain any media, it just describes how to connect to the stream you want to connect to. They're not needed to connect to an RTSP stream if you just type in the streaming address directly, but if you want one they're are simple to write using a simple text editor.

Return to posts index

Sarav Sandhu
Re: ffmpeg SDP file for Darwin Streaming Server
on May 1, 2012 at 5:55:10 am

Thanks for the suggestion, but VLC's streaming capabilities are very Processor intensive and I've to run the streaming server on my Netbook(CPU: Intel Atom N450 and NO GPU). Hence, There is a lot of frame loss and choppy stream video and VLC is of no use.

As you said, i really misunderstood SDP. I'll give a reading to its details and understand it better.

P.S.: I'm able to stream content via ffmpeg's SDP link but i want to stream the same via Darwin Server only, i.e. ffmpeg > Darwin .

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]