FORUMS: list search recent posts

AVI from images does not play the expected time

COW Forums : FFmpeg

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Thomas Crouse
AVI from images does not play the expected time
on Mar 2, 2012 at 10:26:10 pm

Thank you in advance for any help.

I have a series of 4 900x650 images from which I want to make a 6 second video. My (mis?)understanding was that my specified frame rate would display each image for 1.5 seconds.
The resulting video has a length of 6 seconds, but only seems to play for the first 4 or 5 seconds before skipping to the end. The image files are appropriately named. The preset file and the crf came from another source and I would prefer to not change.

ffmpeg -r 0.667 -i %02.gif -vcodec libx264 -s 900x650 -fpre wp.ffpreset -crf 18 output.avi

FFmpeg version is SVN-r26400.

Contents of the preset file:
coder=1
flags=+loop
cmp=+chroma
partitions=+parti8x8+parti4x4+partp8x8+partb8x8
me_method=hex
subq=2
me_range=24
g=250
keyint_min=25
sc_threshold=40
i_qfactor=0.71
b_strategy=1
qcomp=0.6
qmin=0
qmax=30
qdiff=4
bf=3
refs=1
directpred=1
trellis=0
flags2=+bpyramid-mixed_refs+wpred+dct8x8+fastpskip
wpredp=0
rc_lookahead=10

Return to posts index

Reuben Martin
Re: AVI from images does not play the expected time
on Mar 8, 2012 at 2:54:26 am

Several things:

- Place "-f image2" option in front of the "-i" option to make sure the image sequence is handled correctly.

- Avoid muxing codecs into AVI files that are not Intra-Frame only. Avi just does not have the proper mechanisms for dealing with it. Many players have work-arounds to make it work, but each of them implement that their own way so there is no guarantee of consistency. With x264, use something like mp4, mpeg-ts, mkv, etc...

- Another thing about non-Intra-Frame codecs: They are not going to work well with a "slide show" video like this. They encode across multiple frames looking for similarities between frames. Unless the gifs are a continuous video sequence, this will not work well and will smear badly. Try using something like MJPEG. (Which BTW, _does_ work well in an AVI file)

- Nit-pick: frame rates are best represented as numerator/denominator. So instead of "-r 0.667" use "-r 3/2"

- Most importantly: many players do not support low frame rates like this very well at all. ffplay generally shows them correctly, so does the window's wmplayer oddly enough. But many players do not. Even ones based off of ffmpeg's av libraries like VLC or mplayer. Make sure the playback problem isn't just a problem with the player.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]