FORUMS: list search recent posts

Low Latency Network Streaming

COW Forums : FFmpeg

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tom McCurdy
Low Latency Network Streaming
on Mar 2, 2012 at 8:25:59 pm

Problem
I have been trying to figure out the best possible way to stream video from my ubuntu box(relatively low quality) across my network and view it (on a windows machine) with as little latency as possible. The even tricky part is that I have been experimenting with very lossy links (radio links) where I can (and often do) lose packets during transmission. I would like to remote control something over a radio link, but I need extremely low latency video to make this possible. Suggestions????

Input Sources: RTP/RTSP/or directly attached webcam (v4l2). The videos are fairly small generally between 96kbs - 256kbs. Frame rate between 5-30. Size usually of 320x240.

Output: Windows Machine

Current Method:
I currently use a cvlc and stream over my network via rtp (both unicast and multicast). However this results in significant delay around 2-2.5 seconds per vlc instance. VLC also doesn't like packet errors, and I it starts to go to crap as the stream continue so I constantly am forced to "reset" vlc around every 2 minutes to prevent the lag from growing.

I have been trying to figure out if I could improve on this with ffmpeg.

I have been able to get a stream with
sudo ffmpeg -s 640x480 -f video4linux2 -i /dev/video0 -f mpegts udp://10.1.1.1:50010
however I'm still viewing the stream via vlc and the video is very unreliable causing vlc to crash most of the time or the video not to show up.

I'm looking for any ideas?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]