FORUMS: list search recent posts

Applying video filter to specific samples of frames.

COW Forums : FFmpeg

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
matt kim
Applying video filter to specific samples of frames.
on Jun 28, 2011 at 5:57:42 pm

What is the best way to perform a specific video filter on random samples of frames?

At the moment I've found that the best way is to just use a -ss command along with the select command of the -vf option.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Michael Rampe
Re: Applying video filter to specific samples of frames.
on Jul 4, 2011 at 12:57:37 am

[matt kim] "What is the best way to perform a specific video filter on random samples of frames?

At the moment I've found that the best way is to just use a -ss command along with the select command of the -vf option."

This seems like the best way to me as well....

Is there something that you cannot achieve using this method?

Michael

Return to posts index

matt kim
on Jul 4, 2011 at 3:41:23 am

I was just wondering if there is a standard way of achieving this that I am not aware of, because I have just started using FFmpeg.

However, I still wish the -ss option was much faster because at the moment it is not running fast enough as I need to apply this option to thousands of videos.

I am aware that positioning the -ss option before the -i option may allow it to run faster. But it would seem that the videos that I am filtering are unable to do this as well. So at the moment the -ss option runs very slowly--about 1 sec per 1 minute.

Does anyone know of a specific way where I could speed up the execution time of the -ss option?

Thanks,
Matt Kim

Return to posts index

Michael Rampe
on Jul 4, 2011 at 10:44:22 pm

[matt kim] "I am aware that positioning the -ss option before the -i option may allow it to run faster. But it would seem that the videos that I am filtering are unable to do this as well. So at the moment the -ss option runs very slowly--about 1 sec per 1 minute."

Putting the -ss option before -i skips through the I frames only and is not truly frame accurate. Putting it after the -i decodes every frame to find the exact one you set and is thus much slower.

What is your source codec?

Michael

Return to posts index

matt kim
on Jul 5, 2011 at 12:40:47 am

When I put -ss before -i it starts running the cropdetect filter (i forgot to mention this is what I'm trying to run) at frame 0.

My source codec is H.264

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]