FORUMS: list search recent posts

ffmpeg error

COW Forums : FFmpeg

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Larry Todd
ffmpeg error
on Sep 28, 2010 at 4:57:09 pm

i have a program"videodownloadhelper" which allows me to download embedded video. included in this program is a video conversion program that uses ffmpeg. this is my problem, when trying to convert .mp4 to mpeg2-dvd i receive a "converter error", this does not happen when i try to convert the .mp4 to any other format. any suggestions?

Return to posts index

Michael Rampe
Re: ffmpeg error
on Sep 29, 2010 at 8:53:07 pm

[Larry Todd] "included in this program is a video conversion program that uses ffmpeg."

What is this called? Is it a command line program? Can you post the full output?

Michael

Return to posts index

Larry Todd
on Sep 29, 2010 at 10:30:35 pm

i not sure i understand your question "is this a command line program". as for "Can you post the full output?" the program offers the ability to see the conversion log but it will not open for me. i am using windows 7 64 bit, my browser is firefox 3.6.10. "videodownloadhelper" is a firefox extension. is there another way of retrieving the "full output".

Return to posts index

Michael Rampe
on Sep 29, 2010 at 11:23:56 pm

[Larry Todd] "i not sure i understand your question "is this a command line program""

FFmpeg is a command line program. I run it on it's own in a terminal in a *nix environment. Using it this way, you get a lot more information on the error and can thus more easily diagnose problems such as these.

I have had a look through the "videodownloadhelper" website yet find no reference to FFmpeg...
The "license" of the program, if you could call it that, only states "You are free to use Video DownloadHelper with any of the applications or services offered by Mozilla. All Other Rights Reserved." Again, no reference to FFmpeg.

Can you point me to where you found out this uses FFmpeg?

Michael

Return to posts index

Larry Todd
on Sep 30, 2010 at 12:19:33 am

as part of the videodownloadhelper preference page there is an option to show the conversion log. it is there that i found the reference to ffmpeg. i have created an new firefox profile and i only installed the videodownloadhelper. in my default profile of firefox i could not open the conversion log but with the new one i can. i tried to convert the same video under the new profile and it still would not convert. i checked the conversion log. the ffmpeg version is unknown, but it did tell me that the failure is do to "cannot get resampling text". by the way thank you for your help.

Return to posts index

Michael Rampe
on Sep 30, 2010 at 7:46:21 am

[Larry Todd] "as part of the videodownloadhelper preference page there is an option to show the conversion log. it is there that i found the reference to ffmpeg."

I had a quick look into this. The source FFmpeg used as part of this application add-on is hosted at http://www.downloadhelper.net/ffmpeg-src.tar.gz as per the FFmpeg license requirements. (This is a perfect example to justify those sometimes argued requirements for the necessity of hosting the source used by the distributor rather than linking to FFmpeg.)

[Larry Todd] ""cannot get resampling text""
I cannot find this warning in the FFmpeg source. What I can find is "Cannot get resampling context". This relates to the scaler context having a problem with the input or output width, height or colorspace (pix_fmt).

You have a few options.
1. You can download the FFmpeg source and see if you can replicate the problem and post full version/error information.
2. Contact the developer of "videodownloadhelper" and ask them to look into it.
3. Convert to a high bitrate "intermediate" format/codec that does work and recompress to the required output with other software (FFmpeg recommended)
4. My old favorite (now mostly redundant), use screen capture software;-)

Michael

Return to posts index

Larry Todd
on Sep 30, 2010 at 3:34:43 pm

i chatted with the developer and he said i could download the latest ffmpeg.exe and replace the old one and if it did not work i could always reinstall downloadhelper. do you think it is possible to replace the old .exe file?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]