FORUMS: list search recent posts

FFMPEG and HTML5 video

COW Forums : FFmpeg

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
bob mane
FFMPEG and HTML5 video
on Sep 7, 2010 at 12:56:42 pm

Im looking at setting up a VOD website (not live video) where users access to clips and it is delivered in HTML5 tag and/or with js.

I know i could transcode a bunch of files and upload them but what if I had FFMpeg on a server to do fancy stuff like multi-bitrate or multi-format.

it seems to me sooooo many companies are selling this service (Saas, OVP, etc...) - like bits on the run, brightcove, encode.com. I have tried them and they work great. but I dont want to pay someone monthly if I can set this up my self.

is it doable?

Return to posts index

Tim Burgess
Re: FFMPEG and HTML5 video
on Sep 7, 2010 at 10:28:30 pm

If you can do your required conversion on the command-line with ffmpeg, then it is certainly doable to provide that as a web service.

You would simply wrap a web framework (and there are many many web frameworks! e.g. Django, Ruby on Rails, JSP, etc.) around ffmpeg. The facing page would simply take the file and the selected format options and pass that to ffmpeg and then make the result available as a file).

Return to posts index

bob mane
on Sep 8, 2010 at 3:01:06 pm

thanks, do you know of any sites that have something similar in place ? (meaning not just running a pre-made script)

Return to posts index

Michael Rampe
on Sep 9, 2010 at 7:18:46 am

Hi Bob,

A post on this site a few weeks ago contains a new site demonstrating a use of FFmpeg in a web wrapper for a similar purpose to the one you are proposing. Maybe contact them for more info.

http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/291/139

Michael

"half-way to world domination A.K.A. the belligerent blue bike shed"

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]