FORUMS: list search recent posts

Can ffmpeg create a Prores .mov with an Alpha?

COW Forums : FFmpeg

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chad Gilmour
Can ffmpeg create a Prores .mov with an Alpha?
on Mar 24, 2015 at 3:22:14 pm

I know this wasn't possible a few years ago, but I've read it "should" be possible now, but can't seem to find a solution. Has anyone created a prores quicktime with an alpha channel with ffmpeg (or anyother software on windows7)?

Return to posts index

Reuben Martin
Re: Can ffmpeg create a Prores .mov with an Alpha?
on Mar 30, 2015 at 8:19:43 pm

Yes, ffmpeg support quite a few pixel formats that include an alpha channel. You have to specify the pix_fmt, and obviously your source has to have an alpha channel.

Return to posts index

Chad Gilmour
on Mar 30, 2015 at 8:32:05 pm
Last Edited By Chad Gilmour on Mar 30, 2015 at 8:34:30 pm

Thanks for the reply, I have been using the pix_fmt option. I'm curious though, have you personally made a prores 4444 with an alpha channel on a windows machine? So far the only people I've come across that have made prores 4444 files with an alpha have been on Mac's.

This is the command I've been using, and I have verified that the source file has an alpha channel in AE, Quicktime, and VLC.

ffmpeg -y -i filename.mov -r 29.97 -codec prores_ks -pix_fmt yuva444p10le -alpha_bits 16 -profile:v 4444 -f mov filenameb.mov

When I run that command, ffmpeg creates a prores 4444 file with no visable alpha channel.

I'm using the latest static build from here: http://ffmpeg.zeranoe.com/builds/

Return to posts index

Chad Gilmour
on Oct 6, 2015 at 5:14:28 pm

Made a little headway with this, I can make prores files with an alpha channel, but I've realized FFMPEG can't decode the alpha channel from a DNxHD quicktime which means it can't make a prores quicktime with an alpha if the input file is using the DNxHD codec, and since DNxHR also isn't supported at all, I guess I'll just have to use a different codec as an intermediary.

Hope this helps anyone else struggling with this.

Return to posts index

Reuben Martin
on Oct 13, 2015 at 3:51:15 pm

There has been a ticket for this feature to be implemented for a while now. https://trac.ffmpeg.org/ticket/3707

Return to posts index

Chad Gilmour
on Oct 13, 2015 at 5:01:18 pm

Yeah, it took me a long time before I realized it was actually the DNxHD codec that was the real issue.

Do you know if ffmpeg can combine the RGB or YUV info from one video file, the Alpha from another video file, and then encode 1 prores file with an alpha channel? I know it can kind of do that with audio, wasn't sure if you could do that with video too.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]