FORUMS: list search recent posts

custom frame size with Mpeg 2 compression?

COW Forums : FFmpeg

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Keith Wells
custom frame size with Mpeg 2 compression?
on Sep 13, 2013 at 7:02:10 pm

Does anyone know how to convert a 10bit Uncompressed Mov with the Custom frame size of 1344 x 384 to an MPG2. Its to be broadcast on a large LED Screen in China at that resolution. They are insisting on that frame size and that it be an MPG2. I know that the MPG2 algorithm doesn't like custom sizes but How can you get a custom frame size?

Return to posts index

Lou Logan
Re: custom frame size with Mpeg 2 compression?
on Sep 15, 2013 at 6:50:20 pm

Did you try ffmpeg with the scale video filter?
ffmpeg -i input -codec:v mpeg2video -vf scale=1344:384 -qscale:v 2 output.mpg
Range for `-qscale:v` with this encoder is a linear range of 1-31. A lower value results in higher quality.

Note that this will force a size of 1344x384 which, depending on your input, may result in a stretched or squished look. You can use the crop or pad filters to compensate:

ffmpeg -i input -codec:v mpeg2video -vf "scale=1344:-1,crop=iw:384" -qscale:v 2 output.mpg

Return to posts index

Keith Wells
Re: custom frame size with Mpeg 2 compression?
on Sep 15, 2013 at 11:06:54 pm

I tried ffmpeg. I just could not get it to work. Actually the uncompressed file is already cropped and resized so I was looking for a one to one conversation. Every time I tried to export under mpeg2 it would either resize the frame or error and quit the export.

Fortunately someone in another forum suggested using Adobe Media Encoder. I used that and was able to get it on the first export.

Thank you so much for your input and I will give your suggestion a try.

best

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]