FORUMS: list search recent posts

Is true, interlaced pulldown possible with ffmpeg/ffmbc? (i.e. 23.98p to 29.97i framerate conversion)

COW Forums : FFmpeg

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mel Matsuoka
Is true, interlaced pulldown possible with ffmpeg/ffmbc? (i.e. 23.98p to 29.97i framerate conversion)
on Sep 11, 2013 at 4:21:12 am

My fingers are numb from playing around with all the crazy undocumented ffmpeg and ffmbc options, namely interlacing and pulldown options.

I need to write a script that will convert a 23.98 ProRes Quicktime to a 29.97 ProRes Quicktime, with interlaced, upper-field first pulldown. I've built in in-house tool that does these types of conversion via the Apple Compressor commandline interface. But I'm trying to eliminate my dependence on Compressor/Qmaster for encoding tasks, so it'd be nice if I coould do this using ffmpeg or ffmbc.

But so far, I cant figure out how to introduce proper interlaced pulldown into 29.97i target files using either tool. FFmbc seems to have "-pulldown 3:2" switch, but after an hour of experimentation and intense Googlin', it appears to me that this flag only works for MPEG-2 files. Since my main output format is ProRes, this is a non-starter for me.

Is there some esoteric flag, or combination of techniques which I can use to do proper 23.98-to-29.97 conversions using ffmbc or ffmpeg?

Return to posts index

Reuben Martin
Re: Is true, interlaced pulldown possible with ffmpeg/ffmbc? (i.e. 23.98p to 29.97i framerate conversion)
on Sep 27, 2013 at 10:21:44 pm

For interlaced prores encoding add "-flags +ildct" (should work with kostya preres encoder, not sure about the others) Not very well documented at all.

The telecine filter is documented here: http://ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg-filters.html#telecine

Return to posts index

Mel Matsuoka
Re: Is true, interlaced pulldown possible with ffmpeg/ffmbc? (i.e. 23.98p to 29.97i framerate conversion)
on Sep 28, 2013 at 2:22:07 am

Thanks Reuben...I swear I Google'd the crap for "ffmpeg pulldown", not to mention searched the ffmpeg/ffmbc manpages but I never found the information in your link until you provided it. For as awesome as the tool is, ffmpeg has the some of the worst/haphazard documentation I've ever seen,

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]