FORUMS: list search recent posts

best .mov to mp4 conversion

COW Forums : FFmpeg

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Peter Robertson
best .mov to mp4 conversion
on Jul 3, 2013 at 9:13:39 pm

Does anyone have a good formula for converting a .mov file to and .mp4 at the same size and quality?

I've tried a number of different ways, too many to list here but none seems to work. I either end up with a 'black' screen with only sound or the resulting file does not play at all.

In the past I have gotten this to work

ffmpeg -i RabbiFass.mov -vcodec libx264 -vprofile high -preset slow -b:v 500k -maxrate 500k -bufsize 1000k -vf scale=-1:480 -threads 0 -acodec libvo_aacenc -b:a 128k output.mp4

but now I get the error

Error while opening encoder for output stream #0:0 - maybe incorrect parameters such as bit_rate, rate, width or height

????

Pedro

Return to posts index

Lou Logan
Re: best .mov to mp4 conversion
on Jul 5, 2013 at 9:07:28 pm

[Peter Robertson] " Does anyone have a good formula for converting a .mov file to and .mp4 at the same size and quality?

mov and mp4 are container formats and can contain various multimedia formats meaning you can often stream copy supported formats to and from these containers:

ffmpeg -i input.mov -codec copy -map 0 output.mp4

This requires no re-encoding, therefore it is fast and preserves the quality. Adding "-map 0" will copy all streams instead of one of each stream type (see stream selection documentation).

[Peter Robertson] In the past I have gotten this to work

ffmpeg -i RabbiFass.mov -vcodec libx264 -vprofile high -preset slow -b:v 500k -maxrate 500k -bufsize 1000k -vf scale=-1:480 -threads 0 -acodec libvo_aacenc -b:a 128k output.mp4

Please use the code button to format commands and console outputs.

[Peter Robertson] but now I get the error

Error while opening encoder for output stream #0:0 - maybe incorrect parameters such as bit_rate, rate, width or height

You should always include the complete ffmpeg console output. Otherwise we can only guess.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]