FORUMS: list search recent posts

Overhead of H264 Stream Profile conversion from High Profile to Baseline Profile

COW Forums : FFmpeg

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
marvindev marvindev
Overhead of H264 Stream Profile conversion from High Profile to Baseline Profile
on Nov 23, 2012 at 12:32:41 pm

Hi,

I am recording streams from CCTV IP Cameras which are mostly in H264 High Profile format.

As I need to support streaming of this video to all types of phone (particularly the low end phones) we may need to convert this to H264 Baseline profile.

I will like to understand what will be performance overhead (specifically CPU load)of converting H264 High Profile Stream to Baseline profile. Is it similar to transcoding load like converting MPEG-2 video to H264? I will be using ffmpeg libraries.

As my server needs to support high number of clients I am worried what will be the overhead of H264 profile conversion.

Thanks for inputs,
M...

Return to posts index

Reuben Martin
Re: Overhead of H264 Stream Profile conversion from High Profile to Baseline Profile
on Nov 23, 2012 at 8:38:52 pm

There's no easy answer to that. Overhead depends on quite a few factors, such as frame size, frame rate, options used, among other factors. That said baseline takes a lot less work to compress than high profile, with the trade off of larger file size (or in your case higher streaming bitrate).

You would probably be best off experimenting with the baseline profile to see what provides the most optimal outcome for whatever you are trying to do.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]