FORUMS: list search recent posts

scopes output?

COW Forums : Flanders Scientific

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Peter Wollsey
scopes output?
on Dec 15, 2009 at 10:52:21 pm

Hi Bram,

A great feature enhancement would be the ability to output the scopes only through the DVI port of the monitor - then you could use a cheap LCD monitor for the scopes, while keeping the FSI monitor clean for color grading - basically giving you external scopes for free - could this be achieved with a firmware update?

PW

Return to posts index

Bram Desmet
Re: scopes output?
on Dec 16, 2009 at 12:10:23 am

Hi Peter, no this is not possible for two reasons:
1. The DVI port on the monitor is an input, not an output.
2. This would require a completely secondary video processing and output stream within the monitor, which would require an additional FPGA. This would mean a price increase of at least 30% on every unit.

We actually get this sort of question quite often, usually with the preface: "surely this would be easy to do", but in reality it isn't as it would require a complete ground up redesign of the hardware. That isn't to say we have ruled out such a product development at some distant point in the future, but it would be a completely new product and would almost certainly cost substantially more than our current offerings.

Bram Desmet
FSI (Flanders Scientific, Inc.)
http://www.FlandersScientific.com

Return to posts index

Peter Wollsey
on Dec 16, 2009 at 12:31:07 am

thats a shame....

obviously I don't really understand how this all works under the hood.....logically it seems it should be easy as the information must come from somewhere and then be sent to the monitor......so seems a shame it can't be sent to one of the outputs....even if not the DVI (as that is input only).....

I'm no engineer....so this one is probably a ridiculous idea....but how about this.....some setting where you use the video out in this way:

You turn the scopes on in the monitor but they are not visible on the screen (like they are kind of offset or scaled down so you can't actually see them on the monitor - but there is some offset sent through the composite video output so that you can see the scopes on the composite output - some kind of workaround trickery???

Probably impossible......

I should stick to grading I guess....

PW

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Dec 16, 2009 at 12:48:46 am

[Peter Wollsey] ".logically it seems it should be easy as the information must come from somewhere and then be sent to the monitor"

Everything is "easy" for those of us who don't understand how this stuff works. Just like it should be "easy" for someone to make a high quality HD Waveform / Vectorscope for less than $1,000 but you don't see those floating around....

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

"Foul Water, Fiery Serpent" now in Post.

Creative Cow Forum Host:
Apple Final Cut Pro, Apple Motion, Apple Color, AJA Kona, Business & Marketing, Maxx Digital.

Blog!

Twitter!

Return to posts index

Peter Wollsey
on Dec 16, 2009 at 12:56:32 am

Yes....I guess I should stick to my pet project of trying to turn lead into gold....

PW

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Dec 16, 2009 at 12:57:43 am

[Peter Wollsey] "Yes....I guess I should stick to my pet project of trying to turn lead into gold...."

Be sure to post your formula when you figure it out. :-)

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

"Foul Water, Fiery Serpent" now in Post.

Creative Cow Forum Host:
Apple Final Cut Pro, Apple Motion, Apple Color, AJA Kona, Business & Marketing, Maxx Digital.

Blog!

Twitter!

Return to posts index

Bram Desmet
on Dec 16, 2009 at 12:56:43 am

No, unfortunately it doesn't work like that, think of it this way:
We process the video on one giant processing chip. This chip then creates an overlay (the waveform/vector scope) on the video and sends that to the screen as one signal. The processing limit of the chip is that it can only send (create) ONE video output at a time. Your suggestion doesn't work for several reasons, first being that if we take in one input type (say SDI) we can't then output that as another type (say composite per your example). Our monitor is not a converter. It cannot physically take an SDI IN and convert that to a composite OUT. The outputs are loop throughs and even if it were possible to alter the loop out we would never do that as in practice a connector used for loop out on a monitor should not alter the signal (aside from perhaps reclocking it). Also, if the signal where in any way different from the signal show on screen we would get back to the 'needing to create two distinct video channel outputs' issue, which is a hardware limit that cannot be worked around.

Keep in mind that while most people feel the scopes are quite good for on-board scopes, they are not a complete replacement for full featured external scopes. They are good enough for many applications, but not all. There is a reason external scopes run several thousands of dollars, we do what we can but we cannot perform miracles.

Anyway, like I indicated previously it is a concept we like and have filed away in our 'would be cool to have one-day' box, but it is not something we are currently working on as it would only work on a completely new hardware platform.

Bram Desmet
FSI (Flanders Scientific, Inc.)
http://www.FlandersScientific.com

Return to posts index

Peter Wollsey
on Dec 30, 2009 at 6:59:44 pm

I would love to know what the difference is between the scopes on the FSI and the more expensive stand alone units? Is the accuracy different? Are there simply more features offered? Is it simply the resolution of the graticules on the scope monitor? To be honest when I have looked at different scopes - inside FCP or Color, on monitors such as the FSI and Panasonic BT-LH series and Tektronix stand alones, I have always seen the same information. I don't see the practical difference in terms of color grading - I"m guessing there is an engineering difference under the hood, but from my point of view they deliver the same results.

PW

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]