FORUMS: list search recent posts

ND filters

COW Forums : Flanders Scientific

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Robbie Carman
ND filters
on Apr 18, 2010 at 9:38:55 pm

Bram are you guys still selling ND filters for the 2450?

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
Re: ND filters
on Apr 18, 2010 at 9:54:43 pm

Yes they are (to my knowledge). Both of our 2450's have ND filters and I plan to get them on our upcoming monitors as well.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

"Foul Water, Fiery Serpent" featuring Sigourney Weaver coming soon.

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

Bram Desmet
on Apr 18, 2010 at 11:57:12 pm

Hi Robbie,

ND Filters are still available, but can only be ordered by phone from our office (678.835.4934). We generally do not recommend ND Filters for use with the newer H-IPS style panels (i.e. as used in 2470W). There is a glare phenomenon that tends to make the blacks more milky, though when measured they are technically darker, than without the filter. ND Filters, in our opinion, work best with S-PVA style LCD panels, which fewer and fewer pro-grade monitor manufacturers are using (especially under 30" in size).

Bram Desmet
FSI (Flanders Scientific, Inc.)
http://www.FlandersScientific.com

Return to posts index

Robbie Carman
on Apr 19, 2010 at 1:10:09 pm

gotcha. I just miss the glass front of a CRT. Technically the monitors are performing very well although blacks could be a touch darker I think. I'd have to do a re-alignment of the panel after installing the ND filter right?

Robbie Carman
----------------
Colorist and Author
Check out my new Books:
Video Made on a Mac
Apple Pro Training Series DVDSP
From Still To Motion

Return to posts index

Bram Desmet
on Apr 19, 2010 at 1:37:02 pm

That 'glass look', as opposed to the normal matte finish of the panel, is more often than not why some customers still want the ND Filter. It isn't so much a significant difference in performance characteristics, but the fact that it is more reminiscent of the type of screen (CRT) that they were used to working with for many years. As more people become more and more removed from CRT technology we have seen a significant shift to the without ND Filter look becoming the preferred look.

The ND Filter, as the name implies, is the most neutral glass we can source at a reasonable price. This means there is minimal shift in color temperature, but of course there is an appreciable shift in luminance (that is what the ND Filter is designed to do, effect luminance). For these reasons it is a good idea to realign the monitor with the filter installed so that a complete calibration can be run taking into account the effect of the ND Filter. If you purchase an ND Filter you can send the monitor into our facility and we will install and realign at no extra charge, you simply pick up the cost of the filter and the shipping charges.

Again, ND Filters are only available via phone order, not online. We do this primarily because of all the caveats and questions involved with the Filters. Only about 3% of FSI monitors sold go out with ND Filters installed, the vast majority go out without ND Filters. This is a sharp change from 2 years ago, when closer to 30% of monitors went out with ND Filters. If you or anyone else has more questions on the filters just give us a call, there are many more things to consider and each environment/applications is different.

Bram Desmet
FSI (Flanders Scientific, Inc.)
http://www.FlandersScientific.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]