question about the SR-1

COW Forums : Flanders Scientific

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
maurice jansen
question about the SR-1
on Mar 6, 2010 at 10:32:17 pm

hi there

i guess bram will answer ;-)

i have a question about the SR-1. our company is next to post and OBV's also a provider of LED and PDP bigscreen's as our fleet has a lot of different brands which are often mixed in single production there is always the need for us to color allign all set display's. we alling our plasma's, CRT/DMD/PDP walls and multiprojector widescreens with a tristimulus measurement device (chromaATE7121 for flatscreens and the konicaminolta cs100 for projection). this works well. for our LED screens we now use a konicaminolta ls100 luminance meter (only to calibrate a single screen in the shop). but we also do need a device to aling multiple brands of LEDscreen in a production enviroment.
and a device to color allign LED backlit flat screens.
now impossible due to the often very narrow bandwidth of the LED's
can i use the sr-1 for this will it in a optical way accept pixelpitches up to 25mm.
this with seperate LED for red green and blue or SMD type's.
can it handle screen that produce a luminance of 5000cd/m2 or more.
if not are there NDfilters included.

is there a way to get the manual just to run through if this device is the right thing for us???

hope to hear from you

greet
Maurice

People saying they don't make mistake's often make nothing at all!

Return to posts index

Bram Desmet
Re: question about the SR-1
on Mar 7, 2010 at 12:07:10 am

Hi Maurice. We are no longer selling new SR1s, though I do believe we may have 1 B-Stock unit left that is available at a closeout price.

The SR1 is certainly capable of doing what you are asking, though the 5000cd/m2 range is near the upper limit of what the device could handle accurately without needing an NDFilter and offset setting within the companion software. That being said the biggest issue with using the SR1 in the application you mention is that it does not come equipped with an optical viewfinder. If you want to know precisely what you are measuring without having to calculate this manually I would strongly suggest a spectroradioemter with a built in viewfinder.

The reference instrument we use at Flanders Scientific is a Photo Research PR-655 spectroradiometer, which has a very easy to use optical viewfinder system that allows you to visually see precisely what size area you are measuring regardless of how far away you are measuring. You are absolutely correct that you really need a spectroradiometer to accurately measure LED or LED Backlight display technologies. I know that you mention you are using a tri-stimulus colorimeter for measuring the other display technologies, but one great advantage of getting a spectroradiometer in house is that you will be able to use one measuring device to measure all of your display devices. Also, I think you will find that while the colorimeter may have worked well enough to measure your CRT/PDP/LCD displays it is prone to much more error when measuring these various light sources than a spectroradiometer, which is with very limited exception a display agnostic measuring device.

Bram Desmet
FSI (Flanders Scientific, Inc.)
http://www.FlandersScientific.com

Return to posts index

maurice jansen
Re: question about the SR-1
on Mar 7, 2010 at 10:55:29 am

hi bram

thanks for the good and honest advise.
i have to rethink this again ;-).
i have to sell this to my boss too which is a hard job.
indeed the viewfinder is a must have. is there a way to become the manual of the SR-1 to study things a bit more?

thanks again

greet
Maurice

People saying they don't make mistake's often make nothing at all!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]