FORUMS: list search recent posts

Is this true ?

COW Forums : Flanders Scientific

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sohrab Sandhu
Is this true ?
on Feb 17, 2010 at 8:43:22 pm

I am up here in canada & recently bought a LM-1760W. On the border they charged me a hefty import duty. With brokeage fee and the taxes it all turned out much more than what i had expected.

I was discussing this with a friend who told me that Flanders Monitors do not come under the list of NAFTA goods because these are made in Korea.

Is this true?

Return to posts index

Bram Desmet
Re: Is this true ?
on Feb 17, 2010 at 9:22:46 pm

Sort of, they are actually made in Shenzhen (not Korea), though the panel is Korean. A good deal of Broadcast LCD monitors do not qualify under NAFTA as the majority of their components do not come from the USA (my understanding of that anyway). Import duties is unfortunately something FSI has not control over.

Bram Desmet
FSI (Flanders Scientific, Inc.)
http://www.FlandersScientific.com

Return to posts index

Sohrab Sandhu
on Feb 17, 2010 at 11:53:21 pm

Hmmm.... I see that you guys are in Vancouver- Seattle area these days.... Any plans of opening a location here in Canada? I am sure it can be a potential market!

2.66 GHz 8-core, ATI Radeon HD 4870,
FCS 3, AJA Kona Lhi

"The creative person wants to be a know-it-all. He wants to know about all kinds of things: ancient history, nineteenth-century mathematics, current manufacturing techniques, flower arranging, and hog futures. Because he never knows when these ideas might come together to form a new idea. It may happen six minutes later or six months, or six years down the road. But he has faith that it will happen." -- Carl Ally

Return to posts index

Bram Desmet
on Feb 18, 2010 at 12:04:52 am

Probably not anytime soon. We sell and service to places as far away as Australia and New Zealand out of our Atlanta office so Canada is actually kind of 'nearby' for us. Even if we were based in Canada, we'd still pay a fair amount of import duties bringing the products into Canada, they would just be embedded in the cost of the product as opposed to being charged separately. We are in the Pacific Northwest this week though if anyone is interested in an on-site demo of any of our monitors.

Bram Desmet

Return to posts index

Sohrab Sandhu
on Feb 19, 2010 at 6:32:52 am

"Even if we were based in Canada, we'd still pay a fair amount of import duties bringing the products into Canada, they would just be embedded in the cost of the product as opposed to being charged separately."

Does that mean that a canadian buyer like me ends up paying for import duty in two countries. First in US(embedded in the cost of the product) & then at the Canada border?

2.66 GHz 8-core, ATI Radeon HD 4870,
FCS 3, AJA Kona Lhi

"The creative person wants to be a know-it-all. He wants to know about all kinds of things: ancient history, nineteenth-century mathematics, current manufacturing techniques, flower arranging, and hog futures. Because he never knows when these ideas might come together to form a new idea. It may happen six minutes later or six months, or six years down the road. But he has faith that it will happen." -- Carl Ally

Return to posts index

Bram Desmet
on Feb 19, 2010 at 2:33:25 pm

Not necessarily. Some of the products we import to the US from our factory are not subject to import duties at all, others are. The ones that are subject to import duties have relatively reasonable duties that apply to them and in all honesty these small fees are more than offset by other savings in the embedded costs associated with consolidating our freight, warehousing, calibration, and final QC operations in Atlanta, GA. If we had to replicate what we do here in Atlanta, GA in even a percentage of the over 140 countries we ship to the cost of our products would certainly be much higher than any import duties international customers currently have to pay.

Keep in mind that our distribution model is direct to the end user. If we used a reseller distribution model like most of our competitors our prices would be 25% to 35% higher, also like most of our competitors. Any talk of embedded costs and import duties should ultimately keep in mind the final total cost of our products vs our competition. Our LM-1760W is a good example of a unit that is easily $1,000 less than the street prices of some of our biggest competitors while still offering higher resolution, higher contrast ratio, lower power consumption, lower weight, and more advanced features than much of this competition.

Bram Desmet

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Feb 19, 2010 at 2:35:42 pm

[Bram Desmet] "Our LM-1760W is a good example of a unit that is easily $1,000 less than the street prices of some of our biggest competitors while still offering higher resolution, higher contrast ratio, lower power consumption, lower weight, and more advanced features than much of this competition."

Not to mention some of the best tech support in the industry right up there with the service from AJA Video Systems.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

"Foul Water, Fiery Serpent" now in Post.

Creative Cow Forum Host:
Apple Final Cut Pro, Apple Motion, Apple Color, AJA Kona, Business & Marketing, Maxx Digital.

Blog!

Twitter!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]