FORUMS: list search recent posts

FSI CM vs BM for field and color correction monitoring

COW Forums : Flanders Scientific

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig Alan
FSI CM vs BM for field and color correction monitoring
on Dec 11, 2014 at 11:57:03 am

At our budget, I have a choice between a 17" 10 bit monitor vs a 21" 8 bit monitor. FLANDERS CM171 vs BM210. They are both 12 bit processing.

I understand that the 8 bit monitor might be prone to banding which could effect correcting gradients.

So I was tempted to get the 17" which isn't a bad size for monitoring in the field; but then I read this from a Larry Jordan interview with a Flanders rep:

"The only thing I would caution there is that, once you get below about 20 inches, it can be very hard to see noise correctly –
noise can be masked by the very fine pixel pitch and you don’t see that as well – and if you’re dealing with certain cameras that
may have a lot more low level noise, that’s something you want to see and try to correct for and a little bit larger display would make that a lot easier on your eyes."

Now is is this referring to correcting in the field while lighting and adjusting camera settings for a shot or is this also a color correcting concern? Or both?

One thing that occurs to me is that as we move up in resolution, and can use part of an image using the transform tool that you really need to be aware of any increase in the how grainy an image becomes as you blow up parts of it. Not sure if this is technically correct description.

We will be moving to higher resolution cameras and will need to grade and color correct so I want to somewhat future proof whatever monitor I choose.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Bram Desmet
Re: FSI CM vs BM for field and color correction monitoring
on Dec 15, 2014 at 8:26:15 pm

[Craig Alan] ""The only thing I would caution there is that, once you get below about 20 inches, it can be very hard to see noise correctly –
noise can be masked by the very fine pixel pitch and you don’t see that as well – and if you’re dealing with certain cameras that
may have a lot more low level noise, that’s something you want to see and try to correct for and a little bit larger display would make that a lot easier on your eyes.""

Practically speaking you will find yourself sitting closer to the CM171 if you want to evaluate noise as effectively as on a larger monitor. It is doable, but you do need to be aware of it even if on many cameras / footage it may make little practical difference. Certainly if you have the budget for a CM series unit at 24" or larger compared to the 17" then the larger CM series give you the best of all worlds and that is what you would ideally want. If those are outside of the budget then you do need to make that decision between larger 8 bit and smaller 10 bit.

My advice here would be to consider your deliverables. If you are delivering mostly for television and web audiences an 8 bit panel will likely suffice. If you are delivering for higher bit depth viewing environments (e.g. digital cinema) or are doing a lot of roto and/or graphics work then 10 bit might be truly valuable.

Bram Desmet
FSI (Flanders Scientific, Inc.)
http://www.FlandersScientific.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]