FORUMS: list search recent posts

Monitoring P3 Gamut

COW Forums : Flanders Scientific

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Justin Stephenson
Monitoring P3 Gamut
on Nov 25, 2014 at 5:49:12 am

Hello!

I am currently working on a design project for a feature. They have requested the design to be delivered in P3 Gamut (RGB). They will accept sRGB as well, but I would love to work with the larger gamut.

When using the P3 Emulation on the 2461W, do I need to adjust the gamma and white point to match the chosen P3 format?

I read somewhere that the FSI P3 emulation allows for the wider gamut of P3 but does not introduce other corrections for example gamma or white point.

Thanks, in advance.

- Justin

-------------------------
Design, Animation, Editing, Color for Cinema, Broadcast, Web and Installation.

Gear: 2 X Macpro 8 Core Nehalem, ATTO R380, Proavio EB8MS, nVidia GTX-286, Blackmagic Decklink Studio, AJA LHi, FSI LM-2461W, Tangent Wave, Yamaha HS50Ms W HS10w Sub

Tools: Avid MC 5.5 (formerly FCP), CS 5.5, C4D13, Resolve 8.1, VDMX, Quartz Composer, Processing, Cubase 5.

Return to posts index

Bram Desmet
Re: Monitoring P3 Gamut
on Nov 25, 2014 at 3:56:04 pm

On the LM-2461W you should go to the color space menu selection and select P3, do not try to manually select gamma or color temperature presets after you do this as it will kick you out of the P3 selection (per the user manual instructions/warnings).

The P3 selection sets gamma (2.6), white balance (0.314, 0.351), and gamut (greater than 97% coverage with a LM-2461W) to P3 specifications.

[Justin Stephenson] "I read somewhere that the FSI P3 emulation allows for the wider gamut of P3 but does not introduce other corrections for example gamma or white point."
That information is incorrect, but if you did want to do a custom color space that is P3 gamut only you can do so by creating a custom 3D LUT using one of the many programs that export in our formats (e.g. CalMAN, LightSpace, etc.).

Bram Desmet
FSI (Flanders Scientific, Inc.)
http://www.FlandersScientific.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]