FORUMS: list search recent posts

Setting up your FS monitor for your environment

COW Forums : Flanders Scientific

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Christian Simpson
Setting up your FS monitor for your environment
on Jun 14, 2014 at 2:07:19 am

My company recently picked up two CM 240 monitors and I was wondering what advice anyone could give in regards to calibrating the monitor for your specific environment. The rooms our monitors are in are not the best edit bays with windows behind us and awful fluorescent lighting overhead. I plan to keep the overheads turned off and am going to black out the windows hopefully but I'm curious as to how I can setup the monitor for my specific environment. Would I just do a color bar type calibration using the blue mode? Are there any tutorials out there for this process?

Return to posts index

Bram Desmet
Re: Setting up your FS monitor for your environment
on Jun 14, 2014 at 2:30:33 am

The monitor comes calibrated so it is largely plug and play. There are custom toggles/tweaks available, but I would suggest using the unit in default configuration to start as that should work quite well once you setup the room properly. A professional bias light behind the monitor is also a very good idea so you are not working in total darkness. If you have follow up questions you may want to contact our support department directly at support@flandersscientific.com as they would be more than happy to help you.

Bram Desmet
FSI (Flanders Scientific, Inc.)
http://www.FlandersScientific.com

Return to posts index

Christian Simpson
on Jun 14, 2014 at 4:01:29 pm

I trust the color has been properly calibrated. I guess my main question is how much should I adjust the Luminance setting if at all to "look right" in my room. With the lighting being so different from room to room that these monitors end up in I'm curious as to how the luminance setting can be properly set in the factory before they head out to us. The default of 30 seems kind of low and my image seems pretty dark but then again I don't really have a standard to measure it against. How accurate would it be if I bumped it up to say like 45 or so? Or am I creating an image that is artificially too bright? Is there any leeway in the luminance setting?

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Jun 14, 2014 at 5:12:59 pm

[Christian Simpson] "I trust the color has been properly calibrated. I guess my main question is how much should I adjust the Luminance setting if at all to "look right" in my room. "

You do not touch anything. The monitor is calibrated. You do not change the settings to "look right" in your room. The image DOES "look right" for your room.

That's the point of a calibrated monitor. You adjust your image to look correct on the monitor. You do NOT touch any monitor settings to make your image look better. That's why you use color grading tools on your image.

"True colorists" will put 18% grey wall behind the monitor with 6500k light wash on the walls, as in the image below. The FSI is the monitor in the center. That gives you a nice neutral field of vision to look at. Kind of like how we have our DaVinci Resolve suite set up. All of our edit suites also have the 18% grey wall, but we don't have the 6500k light wash on them.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Craft and Career Advice & Training from real Working Creative Professionals

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

Oren Hercz
on Jun 25, 2014 at 3:01:26 pm

Hi there,

Would just like to chime in since we just got an FSI monitor, and I have a similar question. Walter, I understand your point completely, but for us, the monitor is sometimes used in a brightly lit room (daylight from windows) that is shared with others, so darkening it is not so easy. In this situation, the monitor looks very dim and washed out compared to how it would look if you were in a mostly dark room, even once footage is graded. So the question is, is there a way to accurately adjust the monitor's brightness and contrast to "look right" in this less than ideal situation. . . It tried adjusting while looking at bars, keeping my eye on the pluge bar, but it doesn't really very well. Maybe that was for the analog days. . .

Thanks!
Oren

Oren Hercz
Editor, Post-Production Manager
Journeyman Film Company
http://www.journeymanfilm.com

Return to posts index

Bram Desmet
on Jun 25, 2014 at 3:07:23 pm

You will get much better results by adjusting the LUMINANCE setting on the System Menu of the monitor rather than brightness and contrast. Brightness and contrast are relative adjustments that if adjusted too much will negatively impact your calibration. Adjusting the luminance setting largely preserves your calibration and simply changes peak luminance while keeping all other settings essentially the same relative to one another (preserving calibration).

Bram Desmet

Return to posts index

Bram Desmet
on Jun 25, 2014 at 3:44:27 pm

Yes, you can change luminance (system menu) to offset brighter ambient conditions. The biggest 'risk' in operating at a much higher luminance than most post facilities is that luminance has an impact on how the eye perceives saturation. A few percent brighter or dimmer is not going to lead to problems as the human eye is largely adaptable, but if for example you monitor with peak luminance at 70fL you will almost certainly make different decisions with your content than you would if monitoring at 30 or 35fL.

Bram Desmet

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]