FORUMS: list search recent posts

FSI CM Series - LCD vs OLED - Anyone compared?

COW Forums : Flanders Scientific

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Christopher Reig
FSI CM Series - LCD vs OLED - Anyone compared?
on May 26, 2014 at 8:22:41 am

Hello everyone,

I am currently in the process of evaluating the two panel technologies on offer from Flanders Scientific. Before I get into it, a quick background.

I am a dailies colourist / DIT mostly working on feature films and episodic television. For the past few years, I have always simply hired monitors on a job-by-job basis, ranging from Sony's PVM-series OLED monitors (not exactly my favourite, being honest), right up to the Dolby PRM-4200. I am moving more and more into doing work on smaller projects as a finishing colourist and online editor, so have decided to invest in a critical monitoring solution in a few months. Now on to the topic.

I have very much decided to go with Flanders Scientific, pretty much for the same reasons most people here do. I have decided upon the 24" size for my reference monitor, but the one lingering decision now is whether to go for the LCD-based CM240, or the OLED-based CM250.

I was wondering if any COW users who have used either monitors could perhaps chime in on this one? If you have transitioned from LCD to OLED based panels, any general observations or 'gotchas' would be greatly appreciated also.

Thanks heaps and best wishes,

Chris

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
Re: FSI CM Series - LCD vs OLED - Anyone compared?
on May 26, 2014 at 11:41:48 am

We have 8 FSI monitors now I believe, all LCD except the new OLED in the Davinci Resolve Suite.

Black reproduction is absolutely perfect in the OLED. In fact when you feed the monitor black, you don't even know if it's turned on, it's the only monitor I leave the LED controls lit so I remember to turn it off.

Off axis viewing angle is ridiculous on the OLED. You can tilt it completely sideways and still see a great image. Not that you would for color grading, but a client sitting next to you or off axis is going to see a great image.

If you are making a purchase right now and have the funds for the OLED, it's hands down the way to go. I'm going to leave the LCDs in all the edit suites because they are simply the best in the LCD arena, but if you're going for critical color and it's going to be your only monitor, you'll most likely want the OLED.

I was not a proponent of OLED until I saw it in person. In fact Bram Desmet and I made a "First Look" video for my walterbiscardi.com website when he got the first CM250 in stock.

http://walterbiscardi.com/first-look-fsi-cm250-oled-monitor/

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Craft and Career Advice & Training from real Working Creative Professionals

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

Christopher Reig
on May 26, 2014 at 12:43:26 pm

Hi Walter,

I did in fact see your video after posting this thread. It was very informative. It is indeed going to be the lone monitor in the suite, so I am very much thinking now it is the way to go. Will certainly order one when I get back to Australia in a few months.

In my experiences using Sony's line of OLED monitors on some shows, I had always found the blacks were really 'inky', and that in darker parts of the image it would simply fall off to 0 where I can see more detail on my DreamColor GUI monitor. Plus the viewing angles were terrible. I thought perhaps it was a matter of off-calibration, but I noticed the same thing on monitors that had been calibrated by the post house. So I really had lost a lot of confidence in them. It is good to hear that this generation of panels are much better.

Thanks Walter for your input! Much appreciated.

Chris

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on May 26, 2014 at 1:58:06 pm

[Christopher Reig] "In my experiences using Sony's line of OLED monitors on some shows, I had always found the blacks were really 'inky', and that in darker parts of the image it would simply fall off to 0 where I can see more detail on my DreamColor GUI monitor."

I can tell you that the darker parts of the image appear as they should and don't just drop off. I know photos don't do monitors justice, but here's two photos of the 17" OLED in our Resolve suite both straight on and off axis that I took last week.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Craft and Career Advice & Training from real Working Creative Professionals

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

Christopher Reig
on May 27, 2014 at 4:20:37 pm

Hi Walter,

Thank you for taking the time to send those to me. It looks absolutely fantastic. And you are definitely right about the viewing angles. Suffice it to say, I think my mind is made up.

Nice suite layout, by the way!

Best wishes,

Chris

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]