Disappointed with Purple Haze on BM210

COW Forums : Flanders Scientific

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ben Sliker
Disappointed with Purple Haze on BM210
on Dec 2, 2013 at 10:25:00 pm

Hello,

Thanks in advance for any advice --

My co-producer and I recently purchased a Flanders Scientific BM210 for cutting our feature film. After testing it out for a few days, I have been really disappointed in the quality of off-axis viewing for a panel that costs $2500. (Which was the absolute top-end of our budget for a CC/production Monitor)

After getting about 5 degrees off-axis horizontally, there's a purple haze that starts to appear in the corners, and at about 45 degrees, the image is basically useless.

I talked to Johan at FS already, and he said that this was typical of White LED backlit LCD monitors. And that all monitors in this price range would display the same haze. (and then he recommended their $14k OLED monitor, lol.)

A. Any opinions on whether haze like this should be considered 'normal'? (Scene is lit with all blue light, that part is normal) :)

B. Any other solutions that you would have for us to color correct our indie-feature ($35k total budget, shot on RED) with a $2500 budget for a panel.

THANKS!!!
-ben

Return to posts index

Christian Betong
Re: Disappointed with Purple Haze on BM210
on Dec 2, 2013 at 11:36:02 pm

I have the 24" (lm2461w) and have the se issue when looking at it from at an off angle vertically. But have no problem with this. I have a 50" plasma for clients. And if they want to sit in front of the Flanders I keep them close to a 90 degree angle to the screen.

As Flanders said. It's what we get at this price range.

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
Re: Disappointed with Purple Haze on BM210
on Dec 3, 2013 at 1:53:59 pm

Yes, that is the one drawback of backlit LCD panels, especially in that price range. We have 7 FSI monitors in our shop and all are set up so that the client is looking straight on to them. In fact we have all our monitors mounted on swing arms so they can be turned easily in any direction. Even with the most expensive monitors, other than the brand new OLED series, you need to be straight on for the absolute best viewing experience and true colors.

This is why you always see color grading suites set up with the reference monitor directly in front of the colorist. Even with the old CRT monitors, colorists always want to be directly in front of the monitor for absolute perfect color reproduction.

In the scene you're showing, that looks like a VERY dark scene where the haze will show up the worst. Edit with the monitor directly in front of the client and then when you're ready to do color grading, move the monitor directly in front of you.

Here's a look at two of our suites with FSI monitors, one edit suite and the Davinci Resolve room.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Southeast Creative Summit, Oct 25-27. Register Now! Save with code: creat...
Foul Water Fiery Serpent, an original documentary featuring Sigourney Weave...
MTWD Entertainment - Developing original content for all media.
"This American Land" - our new PBS Series.
"Science Nation" - Three years and counting of Science for the People.

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]