FORUMS: list search recent posts

FSI SYNC'd playback through Mackie 802

COW Forums : Flanders Scientific

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Campbell
FSI SYNC'd playback through Mackie 802
on Sep 25, 2013 at 1:31:53 pm

Since PPro does not have a frame offset like FCP did, I'm wanting to make sure my playback is in sync. So rather than just using the audio output from my BMD card and video to FSI, in speaking with FSI, they recommend I use the audio output from the FSI via an 1/8" to 1/4" TS cable out from the FSI monitor into channels 5-6 on my Mackie. If I mute ch. 1&2 from BMD card and use the 5-6, I can't hear anything.

1. what am I missing?
2. is this normal practice?

I use ch. 1-2 for regular audio work and mixing. MAC audio is ch. 7-8 and want 5-6 for playback sync when sharing with our creatives. Essentially the HD/SD-SDI out of BMD Decklink, into FSI. How do I get back to Mackie properly.

I apologize, if this is all over the place. Just want to make sure I have the right set up.

OSX 10.7.5 with a 3.39 Ghz Intel Core i7 on a built up Hackintosh
16 GB of RAM with OSX on SSD, (2) internal HDDs RAID'd 1 for project files and External RAID 5 for all project assets (media, GFX, stills, etc.)

Return to posts index

Kris Merkel
Re: FSI SYNC'd playback through Mackie 802
on Sep 25, 2013 at 3:46:07 pm

Hi Matt,

Your routing sounds right. You will want to check your signal before going from the FSI analog audio out to the mixer. First unplug the 1/8 stereo plug from the back of the monitor and turn the volume knob, on the front of the monitor, up. Then playback your timeline. If everything in propro is set correctly you should be able to hear audio from the speakers on the FSI. Once you have verified you are getting an embedded audio signal to the FSI then you can re attach the cable from the analog audio out on the FSI to your Mixer inputs.

If you are not hearing the embedded audio on the FSI that means your PrPro or BMD settings are incorrect. You will also want to check your audio output in your Mac's Sys audio prefs.

In PrPro CC you have the ability to offset the audio and video playback in the "Playback prefs" similar to FCP7 so you may not need to have the additional signal running to your mixer.

My guess is the audio hardware settings in PrPro are the only thing that you will need to adjust. Let me know how it goes.

"Think of everything in terms of building capacity."

Kris Merkel
twitter: @kris_merkel
Product Manager, Flanders Scientific Inc.
http://www.shopfsi.com
Co-Founder, Atlanta Cutters Post Production User Group
http://www.atlantacutters.com

2.2Ghz MBP core i7
16Gb RAM
CS6/FCP7
AJA T-Tap
AJA IO XT
FSI LM-2461W/CM-170W

Return to posts index

Matt Campbell
Re: FSI SYNC'd playback through Mackie 802
on Sep 25, 2013 at 5:34:32 pm

Yah know, sometimes I'm an idiot. Routing is correct, I must have turned down the volume the first day I made the connections and forgot. I guess was thinking that would control the volume out of the monitors speakers, which I didn't want, ie mute the internal speakers. But turned back up and muted ch 1-2, and voilá, audio from ch. 5-6 through Mackie. And its in sync with picture from FSI, cause if I unmute 1-2 you can hear the eco of the overlapped signals from FSI and BMD card. Perfect.

I assume once you plug into the audio output, that this disables the internal speakers of the monitor?

yes, hoping to move to CC this year sometime as I hear there are many great new features. Especially with Speedgrade.

Thank you.

OSX 10.7.5 with a 3.39 Ghz Intel Core i7 on a built up Hackintosh
16 GB of RAM with OSX on SSD, (2) internal HDDs RAID'd 1 for project files and External RAID 5 for all project assets (media, GFX, stills, etc.)
BMD Decklink Studio 2, FSI BM210, KRK Rokit 5s, Mackie 802

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]