FORUMS: list search recent posts

LM-2140w vs BM210?

COW Forums : Flanders Scientific

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Campbell
LM-2140w vs BM210?
on Jul 23, 2013 at 3:37:28 am

So, I think I've finally gotten the need for a broadcast monitor across and am looking at the FSI's. Loads have recommended them but what's the difference between these to. Same price, same size and the BM model looks to be better for color correction and grading work. I realize these are still only 8-bit but the 10-bit models are almost double. I'll be using as my reference monitor as well as possibly some field work with DSLRs, and more importantly for some light CC work. Is the BM the better choice?

OSX 10.7.5 with a 3.39 Ghz Intel Core i7 on a built up Hackintosh
16 GB of RAM with OSX on SSD, (2) internal HDDs RAID'd 1 for project files and External RAID 5 for all project assets (media, GFX, stills, etc.)

Return to posts index

Bram Desmet
Re: LM-2140w vs BM210?
on Jul 23, 2013 at 12:27:42 pm

The LM-2140W and BM210 use the same LCD panel and share most of the same features. However, the BM210 is the newer unit (announced at NAB this year) whereas the LM-2140W has been in the lineup for a couple of years. The BM210 has a few additional new features that make it the better choice provided you can wait for the unit as lead times are currently at 4+ weeks. The LM-2140W is in stock and can ship immediately. This will change over the next 1 to 2 months as we completely catch up with the backlog of BM210 pre-orders, but for now the question of how quickly you need the unit is still a factor in making a decision between these two units.

You can compare the units in more detail here and any additional questions can be answered quickly by contacting us at sales@flandersscientific.com: http://www.flandersscientific.com/index/bm210.php#prettyPhoto/20/

Bram Desmet
FSI (Flanders Scientific, Inc.)
http://www.FlandersScientific.com

Return to posts index

Matt Campbell
on Jul 23, 2013 at 1:19:37 pm

Thanks Bram. I'll compare and be contact sales shortly. I think I can wait a month or so. But 1 question: how big of a factor is the 8-bit panel vs 10-bit. I understand the color depth is much greater in 10-bit but its also almost 2x the price. And some competitors carry 10-bit models for around the same price (JVC, Marshall, Panasonic. Most of my workflow is 1080p ProRess 422 as well as DSLR media from Canon 7D, 5D and C300. I believe DSLR footage is only 8-bit, which I edit native in Premiere Pro CS6 and transcode to ProRes on output for my master.

For these panels, is that 8-bit display going to make that much of a difference for light corrections and grading work (online usage and corporate video stuff? For higher end broadcast, I'll output EDLs and send the media to post houses for finishing and mastering.

16 GB of RAM with OSX on SSD, (2) internal HDDs RAID'd 1 for project files and External RAID 5 for all project assets (media, GFX, stills, etc.)

Return to posts index

Bram Desmet
on Jul 23, 2013 at 2:29:56 pm

[Matt Campbell] "And some competitors carry 10-bit models for around the same price"
Make sure you are looking at the actual panel bit depth. A lot of brands are unclear about this in their literature and you have to dig a bit to find out what the actual bit depth of the panel is on those units. When most lower cost options say 10 bit they mean the processing bit depth, not the panel bit depth. Our monitors have 12 bit processing and 10 bit (CM) or 8 bit (BM) panels and we try to be as clear as possible on this instead of misleadingly saying they are all 12 bit monitors :)

Our sales/support team can discuss your application in greater detail to see if a 10 bit panel is something you would really need/benefit from, but based on your brief description here I would say it is most likely not critical to have a 10 bit panel for that type of workflow.

Bram Desmet
FSI (Flanders Scientific, Inc.)
http://www.FlandersScientific.com

Return to posts index

Matt Campbell
on Jul 23, 2013 at 2:32:20 pm

Again. Thank you. I'll be reaching out to sales for further discussion before we purchase.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]