FORUMS: list search recent posts

Calibration

COW Forums : Flanders Scientific

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jay Moffat
Calibration
on Jan 31, 2010 at 1:19:53 pm

Hi there, I was wondering if there's a resource for accurate calibration of your Grade 1 monitors about. I have calibrated using the usual Chroma, Brightness and Contrast settings, but comparing what I have here and a projection in a cinema we tested, it appears my set-up here is overly bright (perhaps overly contrasty too) and slightly too colourful. I'm looking at the systems settings and there's the backlight setting which could also be contributing to my monitor being overly bright, but I'm unsure how this differs in comparison to the brightness control on the front of the monitor...

So basically I need calibration help specifically for my FSI monitor I think....or someone in London who does this professionally to come in a do it for me!

Thanks!

J

Return to posts index

Bram Desmet
Re: Calibration
on Jan 31, 2010 at 2:49:54 pm

Hi Jay. Every FSI monitor is precisely calibrated using our automatic alignment routine with a PhotoResearch PR-655 as our reference Sepectroradiometer.

If you are monitoring using SDI you should NOT need to adjust the chroma, brightness, or contrast knobs at all. These knobs are really there for adjustment of the monitor with ANALOG signals and if that is what you are doing you would simply setup the monitor as you would any CRT.

Most 24" FSI monitors are sent out with the peak white luminance set at 35fL (120nit) and the gamma set at 2.2. This is brighter than what is typically used in Europe and certainly brighter than most projectors. You can turn down the peak white luminance (overall luminance of monitor) by reducing the backlight setting without adversely effecting the overall calibration (white balance, gamma) of the monitor. If you contact us at support@flandersscientific.com and tell us what model you own and what overall peak white luminance you would like we can assist you with the correct settings, but again this backlight setting and the gamma setting (changing to 2.35 for Europe if not already set there on the monitor) should be the only things you adjust if monitoring in SDI. If you adjust anything else you are essentially misaligning the monitor. Of course if you are trying to match an other display and don't care about misaligning the FSI unit you can certainly do that. If you dhave a relatively recent firmware version on the monitor (can be updated at no charge in the field in a matter of minutes) you will find manual RGB Gain and Bias adjustments in addition to the other adjustments listed above that will allow you to manipulate the proper alignment to your heart's content. I would caution you to not rely on any colorimeter based measuring device, we have found through extensive testing that colorimeters in general (even the most expensive) are not particularly reliable when measuring displays with the type of spectral distribution found on most modern LCD panels. A good quality spectroradiometer (or a colorimeter precisely calibrated for use for the monitor's specific spectral distribution) should be the only devices relied on for measurement of these, or any, modern LCD panel technology.

We should be doing a demo tour through the UK/Europe later this year and if you like we can likely setup a time to come by your facility and delve into this in further detail to show you our automatic alignment routine and review any additional questions you might have.

Bram Desmet
FSI (Flanders Scientific, Inc.)
http://www.FlandersScientific.com

Return to posts index

Jay Moffat
on Jan 31, 2010 at 4:49:09 pm

Hi Bram, I'll email you at the support address to let you know what I'm seeing in more detail... I'm monitoring SDI, the change I did was very minimal from your factory setting (about 2 to 3 points), contrast was a little higher. At zero change on all three knobs (as factory) it displays chroma far too saturated compared to the same output to a calibrated projector. The projector was one used in a proper theatre, not a budget home based one or anything like that.

Will contact you to discuss further, thanks for the speedy reply, meeting up would be great if you pass through London.

Thanks

J

Return to posts index

Bram Tulloch
on Oct 21, 2010 at 1:22:23 am

Hey Bram

(great name by the way... you Dutch as well?)

Any chance you are bringing any of these monitors down to Australia any time soon?

We're a company that is interested, but we like to try before we buy.

Thanks

Bram

Return to posts index

Bram Desmet
on Oct 21, 2010 at 12:48:12 pm

Hi Bram,

Yes, originally from Belgium...nice to meet another Bram.

I sent you a reply via E-Mail. We have sold quite a few units in Australia, but have no immediate plans for a demo tour there...perhaps next year depending on schedules...

Bram Desmet
FSI (Flanders Scientific, Inc.)
http://www.FlandersScientific.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]