FORUMS: list search recent posts

Standard Color Temperature for LM-2461W in a Broadcast environment

COW Forums : Flanders Scientific

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeremiah Belt
Standard Color Temperature for LM-2461W in a Broadcast environment
on Dec 5, 2012 at 9:36:47 pm

I recently purchased a Flanders LM-2461W and am in love! However I have noticed that the color saturation between the Flanders and my computer monitors and client monitors are completely different. What looks natural with a relatively normal and subtle saturation level on the Flanders looks garishly clipped, crushed, and super over saturated on the other monitors. I did not have this issue with my JVC CRT. Yes there was a difference between the two but not this vastly different. I know the Flanders is a better monitor and calibrated within an inch of it's life, but this difference is concerning. However I noticed when I change the color temperature of the Flanders from 6500K to 5600K it then matches up to all the other monitors in the room? What color temperature should my Flanders LM-2461W with SDI in, in a REC709 color space, and broadcast workflow be at....6500K or 5600K? I have a very large grading project next week in Davinci Resolve and I need to know if I trust the Flanders output, change the color temp, or make one that looks great on the Flanders and an alt with pulled back everything. Thanks.

Return to posts index

Bram Desmet
Re: Standard Color Temperature for LM-2461W in a Broadcast environment
on Dec 5, 2012 at 9:53:50 pm

6500K is the correct setting. When is the last time you have had the other displays calibrated? Many computer monitors, especially those with CCFL backlights, tend to drift quite warm (so more towards that lower color temperature you mention) as they age.

Bram Desmet
FSI (Flanders Scientific, Inc.)
http://www.FlandersScientific.com

Return to posts index

Jeremiah Belt
Re: Standard Color Temperature for LM-2461W in a Broadcast environment
on Dec 5, 2012 at 11:20:45 pm

Been a very long time actually and I don't currently have any calibration gear for the computer monitors. Any suggestions? My concern is that most people will proof the color grades I send them on their computer (cinema displays) which are rarely ever calibrated and tend to look similar to my computer displays. Debating if I need to make a broadcast version and a computer version for proofing.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]