FORUMS: list search recent posts

Switching aspect ratio

COW Forums : Flanders Scientific

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ken Pugh
Switching aspect ratio
on Oct 16, 2012 at 11:45:14 am

Feel foolish asking this.... but I'm using a Flanders for the first time..... my 1920x1080 footage is fine, but my 1440x1080 footage is squished. I'm used to seeing an aspect button to fix this - but I've searched through the menus, and apart from the SD aspect (that doesn't fix this) I cannot see how to alter the monitors aspect ratio to compensate for the non-square pixels.

FCP is scaling the footage correctly, and gives a 16x9 picture on the computer screen.

Any thoughts?

Thanks, Ken.

Return to posts index

Bram Desmet
Re: Switching aspect ratio
on Oct 16, 2012 at 12:35:45 pm

Probably best to repost this in the FCP forum for more detailed help, but here is some basic info that might help:

1440x1080 is not a valid SDI output format (it is an acquisition data format only) so your signal coming from the SDI output of your computer is most likely 1920x1080 and your 1440x1080 footage is simply being mapped within this full raster. This is not something the monitor is supposed to 'fix' for you, it is something that should be corrected in the NLE before SDI output by adjusting the pixel aspect ratio of the HDV footage.

Bram Desmet
FSI (Flanders Scientific, Inc.)
http://www.FlandersScientific.com

Return to posts index

Ken Pugh
on Oct 16, 2012 at 2:02:48 pm

Thanks - it sounds like the settings in the Blackmagic card I'm using then - if the scaling has to be done prior to reaching the monitor.

I'll investigate this. At least I can discount the Flanders, I guess I'm still used to analogue monitors and their ability to switch aspect ratios. Although I assume the Flanders can do this in SD - as there is no square pixel 16:9 output - all widescreen output is horizontally squeezed. I guess this is what the SD aspect ratio function compensates for - still I'm a little surprised there is no HD equivalent.

Best, Ken.

Return to posts index

Bram Desmet
on Oct 16, 2012 at 2:23:22 pm

Just to clarify, the monitor DOES have Anamorphic De-Squeeze for HD, but this is not what you want to use in the application you are mentioning because you should be correcting that output as it has to be corrected before distribution anyway if you want it to look normal on any other monitor.

The monitor has both an SD aspect ratio toggle (for anamorphic SD video) and an Anamorphic De-Squeeze function for HD (on function menu). The Anamorphic De-Squeeze function then has further 1.3x, 2.0x, and 2.0x mag options that can be found on the video menu. However, the Anamorphic De-Squeeze function is intended for onset monitoring of signals coming from HD cameras equipped with Anamorphic lenses. Many high-end cameras have a built-in anamorphic de-squeeze capability, but many cameras do not. We added this de-squeeze feature so that people on set could monitor these type of sources normally without having to wait to see how it really looks once corrected in Post.

All of this is again a moot point though for your application as in post production you need to, want to, have to correct that HDV footage in the NLE so that it stretched to fill the full 1920x1080 raster. If you don't do this then your content will only occupy 1440x1080 of those 1920x1080 pixels and will look incorrect on all display devices. You could use a monitor to stretch just the 1440 portion full screen so it looks normal, but it would only ever look normal on that one monitor. This is not the same as anamorphic SD where you have an actual standard for deliverables that allows for various aspect ratio pixels. In HD that pixel aspect ratio is always square and you need to account for the non-square HDV pixel ratio at the source, not the monitor.

I'm not an expert in FCP so I would suggest trying the FCP forum, but I don't think this is a BMD scaling issue either. You need to physically correct that HDV footage so it is stretched to fill the full 1920x1080 raster. There is likely some sort of toggle, conversion, etc. required, I'm just not the guy to tell you where that is or how to do it, but it has to be done.

Bram Desmet
FSI (Flanders Scientific, Inc.)
http://www.FlandersScientific.com

Return to posts index

Ken Pugh
on Oct 16, 2012 at 3:09:12 pm

Thanks Bram - that's great information. I've resolved the issue now - it was the Blackmagic output. Although usually I would scale the HDV to fit in a 1920 raster in FCP, in this case the FCP timeline has to stay in the 1440 raster as I want to render out HDV at the end. The BM software though has a 1440 output setting that must scale the video correctly on the HDSDI output.

Perhaps I should have tried this earlier - but it's been great for getting me to dig around in the Flanders menus - and I feel much more confident with it now.

Thanks again, Ken.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]