FORUMS: list search recent posts

Film or Uncorrected

COW Forums : Flanders Scientific

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James Brill
Film or Uncorrected
on Jan 20, 2010 at 11:37:55 pm

Hi there,

I've never used a monitor that has a LUT option and was wondering if when I'm grading for broadcast should I use the film setting with 2.2 gamma or uncorrected? In the how to videos it is set to film and am wondering if I should mimic the how to vid or just go uncorrected to make sure I'm seeing the true image as it goes out for broadcast. No film out here just need to see whats truly going to tape.

I could be over thinking this but just want to make sure.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Bram Desmet
Re: Film or Uncorrected
on Jan 21, 2010 at 12:11:53 am

Hi James. You should always use the film mode unless you are using some sort of external LUT device. Uncorrected simply means the monitor uses the native gamma response of the raw LCD panel and this is not suitable for any sort of professional video application unless a separate device is implementing a LUT.

Basically we have added the uncorrected option because if you do want to use an external LUT device it is easier not to have to apply one LUT to compete with our internal LUT. It is a feature that allows you to disable our calibration of the unit, but should never be used unless you have very specialized external hardware and are trying to (and know how to) achieve some sort of very specific end result.

When in Film mode you can select any gamma response you want from the gamma selection menu. In North America 2.2 is used more often than not, though the EBU has specified a 2.35 gamma response. Both of these values as well as many others are instantly selectable from the gamma menu item on all FSI monitors.

Bram Desmet
FSI (Flanders Scientific, Inc.)
http://www.FlandersScientific.com

Return to posts index

James Brill
Re: Film or Uncorrected
on Jan 21, 2010 at 12:14:17 am

Oh that clears it up. Thank you for the prompt response.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]