FORUMS: list search recent posts

Matching a panny TH-42PF2OU to LM-2461W?

COW Forums : Flanders Scientific

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
andrew smith
Matching a panny TH-42PF2OU to LM-2461W?
on Sep 13, 2011 at 8:33:29 pm

Hello

We just got a new Flanders LM-2461W as well as a Panny Plasma and I need to get the panny to match the Flanders tonight. The Flanders is set to a factory calibrated rec.709 gamma 2.2 and it seems I just need to really get the panny to match now. I know a professional calibrator is needed to come in and probe the panny but in that I am under a tight time constraint and both monitors are brand new - I figure to just match by eye to the Flanders as best as possible for this week.

Panasonic Model # TH-42PF2OU

If there are any settings or advice someone can relay to me that would be awesome as the job starts tomorrow and I really just need to get it in the ballpark of my Flanders reference monitor. I see its already set to Gamma 2.2 but obviously color and contrast is totally off from the Flanders.

Project settings:
1080P23.98 ProRes4444 video output set to 10bit from Color

Thanks in advance for any advice!
Andrew

Return to posts index

Bram Desmet
Re: Matching a panny TH-42PF2OU to LM-2461W?
on Sep 13, 2011 at 8:58:43 pm

A good rough starting point would be to put a full 100% white box on both monitors (not full field on the plasma) and try to visually match at least the 100% white with the RGB/White Balance controls on the plasma. That should at least get you somewhat in the ballpark with respect to color temperature though without more sophisticated color management than that you can likely expect more saturated colors from the plasma and potential mismatches in greyscale response.

Make sure you let the LM-2461W warm up for about 15 to 30 minutes so it fully stabilizes before you try matching another monitor to it, otherwise you will be chasing somewhat of a moving target.

Bram Desmet
FSI (Flanders Scientific, Inc.)
http://www.FlandersScientific.com

Return to posts index

andrew smith
on Sep 13, 2011 at 9:08:46 pm

Hey Bram thanks for the fast response!

Ok what would be the 'easiest' way to get a 100% white box - can i just use a white matte in FCP? I just gave that a go and I have to say they look MUCH different compared to bars or an actual shot coming from color or fcp.

MacPro 4,1 OSX 10.6.8 / FCS3 / CS5
2.26 ghz 8-core / 24GB RAM
Nvidia GT 120/285 combo

Return to posts index

Bram Desmet
on Sep 13, 2011 at 9:45:15 pm

Typically on a plasma you don't want your test patches to be full screen, you want them to be only a small portion of the center of the screen to prevent any sort of power saving or power supply saving settings from dimming the plasma below the type of peak light output you would get on a smaller test patch.

We don't sell or calibrate plasma displays for a living and the difference in control settings between plasma models varies widely so I'm sorry we can't provide you with more specific advice there. What I can tell you is that we align all of our monitors with a combination of a Minolta CS-2000 Spectroradiometer as our reference instrument and CA-310 Colorimeter and then check all alignment results with a Photo Research PR-655 Spectroradiometer (with 5nm spectral bandwidth option) before shipping the units out to make sure they are spot on. In general what I've seen is that many, though not all, plasma displays out of the box are over-saturated and often set to something like a 'vivid' mode with color temperature settings not quite at 6500K. Some plasma models will give you the ability to carve out a specific color space suitable for broadcast work and some will not. Those that do not often need an external color management device to properly achieve the desired industry standard color space. Virtually all plasma monitors have at a minimum RGB channel adjustments that can help you at least attain a pretty close white balance match. That is only a small part of the puzzle, but it is perhaps one of the most important parts and why I suggested starting there if you want to try and get the plasma display in the same ballpark color-wise.

I would also note that I have never seen what I would consider a perfect match between any Plasma and any LCD regardless of equipment used or money spent. You can certainly get these technologies very close, but factors such as floating white point (not drift in the plasma, but inability of many to show small bright test patch at same luminance level as full screen test patch), metamerism failure caused by significantly different spectral distributions, inherit native contrast ratio differences, 3D LUT emulation limitations, and measuring equipment limitations all play a part in producing slight differences even in extremely well calibrated environments.

Bram Desmet
FSI (Flanders Scientific, Inc.)
http://www.FlandersScientific.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]