FORUMS: list search recent posts

HDV to SD. Dark.

COW Forums : Flanders Scientific

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dave Boampong
HDV to SD. Dark.
on Jun 29, 2011 at 8:36:11 pm

I am able to grade HDV footage in FCP7 beautifully using the LW 1770. The footage looks terrible when down converted via Kona 3 to SD on a cheap consumer TV on standard settings . Dark, over saturated. Even applying the smallest grade creates that result in SD.

Sometimes I have to take the grades off to get shots looking passable on SD. Otherwise they look too dark or too saturated on the consumer TV. I have had some success eyeballing the Flanders and making the consumer TV look similar. But what standard do I use to set contrast, etc so that my HDV downconverts will always look fine on SD?

Being in Ghana, West Africa, I have to deal with some very dark people. They look good on HDV but not SD. There are western commercials on TV here in Ghana but they are nicely graded even with Dark Africans but they all look fine. How did they do it? We use PAL here.

Return to posts index

Lee Warner
Re: HDV to SD. Dark.
on Jun 29, 2011 at 9:49:17 pm

I'm guessing here but the default color space for that monitor is REC709 which is for HD. If you are grading footage destined for NTSC SD playback, the results will be off.

Lee

SAMDOG Digital Post
Calgary, Alberta
Mac Pro 2.66 12-core 16gb ram • FSI LM1760W Monitor • Matrox MX02 • Caldigit HD One 8tb Raid • Euphonix MC Transport • Final Cut Studio 3 • Premiere Pro CS5

• Living my life one frame at a time •

Return to posts index

Dave Boampong
on Jun 29, 2011 at 9:59:08 pm

Thanks for the prompt response. The footage is destined for PAL SD playback.

Return to posts index

Dave Boampong
on Jun 29, 2011 at 9:57:16 pm

Does it mean CC'ing in HDV should be monitored in HDV not SD? And if the HDV sequence is going be downconverted to SD (PAL) for broadcast it has to be completely regraded for SD?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]