FORUMS: list search recent posts

HD color correction setup

COW Forums : Flanders Scientific

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dan Kirklin
HD color correction setup
on May 17, 2011 at 6:16:48 pm

I was told I might get some good advice here.

I'm looking for an explanation how to build and what to buy in order to be able to color correct high-quality products. I'm having some trouble understanding what I need.

I have been editing and color correcting with AE for a few years now. I have a rather decent PC for work, but always use production studios for color correction when high quality is needed. I would love to bring that production quality to my home work-station.

1) What are good HD monitors for color grading? I'm looking for something in the 1500$-4000$ (Is this even possible?)

2) I have an nVidia 470GTX. I believe I need a Blackmagic card or Matrox card, but not sure exactly what. Could someone explain what product I should look into buying and can I connect it with my nVidia card?

Many many thanks in advance.

---
My PC system specs:

Motherboard: Gigabyte X58A-UD5
CPU: Intel i7-980x 3.33GHz (6core)
RAM: 24gig
GPU: nVidia 470GTX

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
Re: HD color correction setup
on May 31, 2011 at 1:14:32 am

[Dan Kirklin] "1) What are good HD monitors for color grading? I'm looking for something in the 1500$-4000$ (Is this even possible?)"

FSI 1760W is flat out a gorgeous monitor for $2495. It's fully calibrated, Grade 1 monitor. The FSI 2461W is $4995 and 24" in size vs 17". We run both monitors in our shop for broadcast color grading. The 2461W also sits in our primary color enhancement suite with Resolve and Color.

[Dan Kirklin] "2) I have an nVidia 470GTX. I believe I need a Blackmagic card or Matrox card, but not sure exactly what. Could someone explain what product I should look into buying and can I connect it with my nVidia card?"

nVidia card is to drive your computer monitor.

You want an AJA, BlackMagic or Matrox device to drive your broadcast / grade monitor. These feed true HD video to the monitor and not a graphics signal. In our shop we run the AJA Kona boards in all our edit suites and the BlackMagic 3D Extreme in our color enhancement suite because we also run Resolve in there. Resolve requires BMD cards.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

Louis Santos
Re: HD color correction setup
on Jun 23, 2011 at 2:08:44 am

Hi Walter,

I was thinking about getting the Flanders FSI 2461W for a few offline/(possible)online FCP systems that I am building out to use with color. Do you ever use the scopes on the FSI 2461W to color correct or would you always recommend to get a separate rasterizer like the LV7330 for color correcting? Do most Color correctionist prefer a separate scope?

I have 1 system built with a Panasonic BT-LH255. But for the 2 systems I am building, I was trying to figure out if I should get 2 Flanders FSI 2461W and one Harris legalizer

or 2 Panasonic BT-LH2550 26" or 2 JVC HD Monitor (for a thousand less) and 1 LV 7330 rasterizer and 1 Harris legalizer to share between the 3 systems.

appreciate your advice.

-Louis

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]