FORUMS: list search recent posts

Suggest a focus assist LCD/TFT on-camera monitor

COW Forums : Flanders Scientific

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Niklas Wikman
Suggest a focus assist LCD/TFT on-camera monitor
on Jan 9, 2010 at 11:12:18 pm

I'm posting here as well in the P2 forum - hope you don't mind)

I'm looking for a on-camera focus assist monitor. Reading a very good post from Barry Green it's stated that for 720 you need at least 1280 resolution and for 1080 you'll need 1920 in resolution.

So far, all the monitors I've seen in this on-camera size (7" to 10") only has an 800x600 panel.

Are there any FSI on-camera monitors that has higher resolution in the panel?

Or - explain to me why 800x600 would be just fine. :-)

Return to posts index

Bram Desmet
Re: Suggest a focus assist LCD/TFT on-camera monitor
on Jan 9, 2010 at 11:33:37 pm

You will not find a native 1920x1080 resolution lcd panel on monitors that would be in an 'on-camera' size/style. Our new 7" (LM-0750W) monitor would be very well suited for your application. This is an 800x480 resolution monitor.

The reason there is often so much emphasis on native resolution when dealing with HD is that establishing critical focus in HD with a non-native resolution LCD panel can be difficult. What we have built into the monitor to assist with this is a 1:1 pixel mapping mode that allows you to press a single button and view a portion of the image mapped pixel to pixel with no scaling (typically people will view the center of the image, but any portion of the image can be viewed 1:1). This ability to jump to a 1:1 pixel mapping mode allows you to quickly establish focus using the monitor and exit this mode quickly to frame the shot overall.

Higher resolution panels in smaller sizes are coming eventually, but currently the trade off with going higher resolution on such small panels are other important factors like pixel response time, color reproduction, and viewing angle.

Bram Desmet
FSI (Flanders Scientific, Inc.)
http://www.FlandersScientific.com

Return to posts index

Liang Ni
on Feb 10, 2010 at 4:19:18 am

Hi Niklas,

Most of the on-camera monitors are smaller inches, 7'', 8'' for instance. So the resolution can't reach FULL HD, only 480lines or 600lines. To display HD videos, the monitor will compress the image to 480 lines.

I suggest that you could see about SWIT S-1080F monitors, 8'', 800*480, HDSDI, HDMI, with focus assist, and it also has center zoom-in function, which you could see the original 1080 pixels.

SWIT S-1080F also has waveform, embedded audio level display, zebra over exposure check, internal colorbar, and not so expensive than similar products in the market. See http://www.swit.cc/EN/index.aspx

:-)

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Feb 10, 2010 at 12:49:48 pm

Liang you've pretty much just described the FSI LM-0750W, although the 0750W has a few more features.

http://www.flandersscientific.com/index/pg89713

I've had a chance to demo the 0750W. It's well suited for what Niklas is asking for, especially since it has 1:1 pixel mapping for focus assist, and the freeze frame split so you can match lighting / framing from a previous shot. There are 5 User Presets on the monitor so the user can pitch and choose which 5 features are a single click away.

The advanced measurement feature they talk about on their website is something I've not seen before in a monitor, but I can see where in the field it can be very handy. You can select individual pixels on the screen to ensure perfect color matching from scene to scene. We use this from time to check our color grades in Post.

Not sure what those monitors you were discussing cost, but the FSI is only $1995.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

"Foul Water, Fiery Serpent" now in Post.

Creative Cow Forum Host:
Apple Final Cut Pro, Apple Motion, Apple Color, AJA Kona, Business & Marketing, Maxx Digital.

Blog!

Twitter!

Return to posts index

Thomas Brum
on Jan 23, 2012 at 5:16:37 pm

This looks really great... never used it though

http://www.smallhd.com/Products/DP6_software.html

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]