FORUMS: list search recent posts

2470W: What happened?

COW Forums : Flanders Scientific

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Nordin
2470W: What happened?
on May 9, 2011 at 6:35:44 pm

I was just going to call support to see about any firmware updates to my 2470 (which I purchased 6 months ago). And I was quite surprised to find that you no longer are selling this model. In fact it seems to be non-extistent anywhere on your site. What happened? When I purchased it, it was touted as the flagship 10 bit.

Emeryville, CA

Return to posts index

Bram Desmet
Re: 2470W: What happened?
on May 9, 2011 at 7:11:51 pm

Hi Paul, firmware updates for the LM-2470W are available, we just don't post them on the general update site because there is an extra step necessary to determine compatibility with new firmware releases for that model. Once that gets checked/confirmed (and updated if needed by our support guys) then all future updates can be done easily in the field. We just don't want to 'kill' a unit in the field, hence the extra precaution.

What happened to the LM-2470W since you received yours about 1 year ago is two things:
1. The LM-2461W was introduced, which is 10bit, 3Gbps SDI equipped at only $4,995 instead of the $9,995 price point of the LM-2470W. The LM-2461W at half the price comes so close in performance to the LM-2470W that the majority of customers simply could not continue to justify spending twice as much money for the marginal performance benefit.
2. The same manufacturing plant (3rd party) that produced the panel for the LM-2470W also produces the panel for an extremely popular consumer electronics device. The demand for that consumer electronics device is so high that access to LM-2470W panels became extremely limited for us, resulting in lead times of at least 12 to 16 weeks. Selling a $9,995 monitor with up to 4 months lead time when we have something at half the price that performs almost as well and can ship immediately was just not making sense for us commercially so we officially discontinued the LM-2470W.

The LM-2470W was certainly a great monitor and at the time of its introduction with only an 8 bit LM-2450W with no 3Gbps SDI inputs as an alternative from us we did have a small percentage of customers that could readily justify the price premium for the LM-2470W as it did greatly outperform our other options at the time. However, things do progressive rapidly in the LCD display world and with the new LM-2461W at $4,995 I think the LM-2470W likely would not sell even if we did still have it in our lineup.

Bram Desmet
FSI (Flanders Scientific, Inc.)
http://www.FlandersScientific.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]