FORUMS: list search recent posts

New firmware is awesome. But...

COW Forums : Flanders Scientific

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeremy Garchow
New firmware is awesome. But...
on May 5, 2011 at 3:35:22 am

First, thanks for the awesome firmware updates. Keep up the good work. Love the alarms. Love the DSLR zoom.

I hate DSLR cameras for video, but it's a necessary evil at this point.

Just want to point out that the stupid Canon white focus box thing and the stupid 1982 camcorder red record dot trip the IRE alarm. The white box shuts off when in record, but the red record light will trip an alarm when recording.

You can change the alarm area, which is very handy, especially for the red record button as it's near the top of the screen The white box you can sort of move out of the way, but it's a lot of real estate to try and window off in the alarm area, and a lot of screwing around with tiny knobs/menus per shot. So, it's hard to set an exposure when not recording unless you constantly adjust the alarm area to where the white box is not.

False color and focus assist is awesome.

This should really fall in the "More DSLR complaints" forum, but I don't think that's here on the cow quite yet. Maybe I should start a podcast.

Thanks for the hard work. Can't wait to see that new 10bit monitor in action some day.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Bram Desmet
Re: New firmware is awesome. But...
on May 5, 2011 at 12:52:32 pm

Thanks for the kind words Jeremy.

Your feedback is spot on. We made the alarm area adjustable precisely because of things like that red recording dot, etc. that are often found in the periphery of some of these video signals.

As for the white focus box generated by the DSLR it was one of my chief complaints with the 5D we used to have in house here at FSI and as far as I could tell it could not be removed. We actually just switched (downgraded I suppose) to the 60D and on that DSLR you can easily get rid of the white box entirely, so at least on some DSLRs that is not an issue. Now I wonder if there was a way to do this on the 5D too and I just never figured it out, or if the 5D truly does not allow you to get rid of this in preview mode?

Bram Desmet
FSI (Flanders Scientific, Inc.)
http://www.FlandersScientific.com

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on May 5, 2011 at 3:40:57 pm

Thanks for the response, Bram.

[Bram Desmet] "As for the white focus box generated by the DSLR it was one of my chief complaints with the 5D we used to have in house here at FSI and as far as I could tell it could not be removed. "

I was using a 7D and yes, as far as I know it can't be removed on that camera either. More testing needs to be done, I guess.

At any rate, the monitor is still awesome :)

I am going to to dig through the manual in a bit as I found something as I was browsing all the menus yesterday.

Gamma- should that be 'film' or 'uncorrected' considering a mostly rec709 space?

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on May 5, 2011 at 3:44:00 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "Gamma- should that be 'film' or 'uncorrected' considering a mostly rec709 space?"

Never mind, just read the very clear manual and completely understand it. What I didn't understand just from looking at the monitor and not the manual was that 'Uncorrected' means the native LCD gamma. What I did understand just by looking at it, was that uncorrected was no good for my HD needs. Maybe the menu should read 'LCD native'? :)

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Bram Desmet
on May 5, 2011 at 4:14:58 pm

Correct, for most people the Gamma Select menu option should always be left to Film, which is the default setting and how all FSI monitors are delivered. There is some very specific external equipment that can benefit from having an LCD monitor with the ability to disable all of its internal calibration data and that is what the uncorrected mode is for (disables essentially all of FSI's internal color management settings).

We've toyed with the notion of changing the naming of uncorrected several times over the years in attempt to make thing clearer, but our informal polling of customers during demos, etc. has never led to any sort of a consensus on a better alternative than uncorrected. Many found Native Panel (my own suggestion at one point) to be more confusing than uncorrected. I think at this point we are just sticking with the name 'uncorrected' simply because we have a large enough installed base that understand what that means now and are comfortable with it. At any rate, it is a good point and serves as a reminder to all current FSI customers that your Gamma Select option should be set to FILM.

Bram Desmet

Return to posts index

Danny Dodge
on Jun 14, 2011 at 11:15:05 pm

Bram,
How did you get rid of the white box on the 60D? I've tried everything.
Thanks,
Danny

Return to posts index

Bram Desmet
on Jun 15, 2011 at 3:11:26 pm

Hi Danny, I'm not an expert on DSLR cameras so there may be more to this that I am not aware of, but in the limited applications we have for the camera here in-house we are only able to disable the white box by using the camera with Auto Focus enabled. When we go to manual focus mode we can't seem to get rid of the white box. In auto focus mode a small white box only appears when the auto focus drive is active, but disappears as soon as focus is established.

Bram Desmet

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]