FORUMS: list search recent posts

Monitor out of sync issue - FIXED!

COW Forums : Flanders Scientific

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jason Brown
Monitor out of sync issue - FIXED!
on Feb 24, 2011 at 9:23:34 pm

Hey Guys,

Had kind of a strange issue and wanted to post and maybe help someone else.

Using FCP and a Kona LHi in conjunction with my LM-1760W monitor...I've always had a VERY VERY slight sync issue...and haven't been able to track it down...mixer, FCP settings, etc.

Today, I had a good conversation with Jim from AJA tech support who suggested I take a look at my monitor and see if it was doing any processing to the image...and SURE ENOUGH. Under Menu-Video-Processing, I had it set to normal mode, which was adding a VERY slight delay to the video and audio coming in SDI...I put it on fast mode and everything is perfectly in sync.

Hope this helps someone else in the future!

-Jason

Return to posts index

Bram Desmet
Re: Monitor out of sync issue - FIXED!
on Feb 24, 2011 at 10:27:21 pm

Hi Jason, this is also touched on in our video manual topic on processing modes: http://www.flandersscientific.com/index/pg90748 .

As you correctly point out Fast Mode reduces latency as much as possible, but there are trade-offs with respect to ancillary features on the monitor (though video quality is unaffected) and it is not the ideal solution for every user. With regard to audio sync specifically other popular alternatives are to leave the monitor in normal mode and use a playback offset or to simply use the audio being disembedded from the monitor, which is automatically delayed by the exact amount of video processing time regardless of the processing mode being used or video format being viewed.

Fast Mode processing is most commonly used in audio specific applications where the monitor's ancillary features are not used often, but minimal delay compared to discrete audio is desired.

Bram Desmet
FSI (Flanders Scientific, Inc.)
http://www.FlandersScientific.com

Return to posts index

Jason Brown
Re: Monitor out of sync issue - FIXED!
on Feb 25, 2011 at 12:42:19 am

Hey bram,

Great video...I was unaware of this...honestly...I played with the frame offset in fcp, and could never achieve a perfect frame sync. And running audio out of the monitor isnt an option for me...any unbalanced audio cables on my desk introduce noise...honestly, it's a mess...but its the reality for me right now.

The video mentions the frame offset value depending on what kind of footage and other factors...what kind of offset should I be looking at if I were to run in normal mode?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]