FORUMS: list search recent posts

Monitor serial control

COW Forums : Flanders Scientific

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lee Warner
Monitor serial control
on Feb 18, 2011 at 3:59:57 am

Last October Johan Desmet sent me a document that detailed the ASCII strings that control various monitor functions through the LAN port. The only port available to connect to my 1760 monitor is the second ethernet port on my MacPro. Am I way off base thinking that I can use a terminal emulator to get my ethernet #2 port to send commands to my FSI monitor? If it is possible, any idea what software to use to send the strings?

I have been able to control a JVC monitor on a WinXP computer through HyperTerminal and a 9pin serial cable with very similiar ascii strings.

Lee
SAMDOG Digital Post
Calgary, Alberta
Mac Pro 2.66 12-core 16gb ram • FSI LM1760W Monitor • Matrox MX02 • Caldigit HD One 8tb Raid • Euphonix MC Transport • Final Cut Studio 3 • Premiere Pro CS5

Return to posts index

Bram Desmet
Re: Monitor serial control
on Feb 18, 2011 at 2:20:37 pm

Hi Lee,

Several important points to get you on the right track:
1. You will not be able to control the monitor via the LAN port. That port is actually a port used exclusively by the factory, but has no end user function at all.
2. The document Johan sent you refers to commands that can be sent to the monitor over its RS-232 or RS-485 serial ports.
3. The most common connection method on modern computers is actually to use a USB to serial converter.
4. We have a free remote control program available for windows based machines. We don't (yet) have our own remote control program for Mac based systems, but any program capable of sending the ASCII string commands outlined in the document you received will get the job done.
5. We do have a WiFi to serial receiver available for sale that allows you to control a monitor from an App on an iPad, iPhone, or iPod Touch with WiFi. Some people prefer this method for remote control.

Bram Desmet
FSI (Flanders Scientific, Inc.)
http://www.FlandersScientific.com

Return to posts index

Lee Warner
Re: Monitor serial control
on Feb 24, 2011 at 12:58:18 pm

I thought I would pass on that I got the remote control working with a USB to Serial cable and some donation-ware called goSerial from http://www.furrysoft.de/
With goSerial I can program shortcuts to quickly control monitor functions. If anyone is interested you should be able to request the doc of the control codes from FSI. It's called "Using the serial communication.PDF"

Lee
SAMDOG Digital Post
Calgary, Alberta
Mac Pro 2.66 12-core 16gb ram • FSI LM1760W Monitor • Matrox MX02 • Caldigit HD One 8tb Raid • Euphonix MC Transport • Final Cut Studio 3 • Premiere Pro CS5

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]