FORUMS: list search recent posts

frame offset and FCP

COW Forums : Flanders Scientific

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kim Rowley
frame offset and FCP
on Jan 13, 2011 at 4:24:53 pm

I finally purchased the LM-1760 and have hooked it up to my FCP system (SDI through the AJA I/O). The video and audio are slightly out of sync. Should I adjust the frame offset in FCP system settings or is there a more correct way of doing things without inadverdantely messing up my edit?

2x 2.4 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon 12GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD 5770, Xserve RAID, AJA IO, 2 Cinema Display, FCP Studio 3 (7.0.3), OS X10.6.5

Return to posts index

Bram Desmet
Re: frame offset and FCP
on Jan 13, 2011 at 5:24:57 pm

Hi Kim, that is what many people do to match discrete audio to video on the monitor. Another option, if you are only monitoring 2 channels of audio, is to use the audio disembedded by the monitor (either on built in speakers or the stereo mini-jack output) as that is automatically delayed by the exact amount of video processing time, thus ensuring perfect sync. There are certainly different pros/cons to each method, but those are the two methods used most often.

Bram Desmet
FSI (Flanders Scientific, Inc.)
http://www.FlandersScientific.com

Return to posts index

Kim Rowley
on Jan 14, 2011 at 10:44:43 am

Thanks Bram. I was just curious as to why the offset I used with my Sony monitor is different but I'm sure it's due to added signal processing time. Thanks.

2x 2.4 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon 12GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD 5770, Xserve RAID, AJA IO, 2 Cinema Display, FCP Studio 3 (7.0.3), OS X10.6.5

Return to posts index

Neil Evans
on Jan 21, 2011 at 1:25:25 am

Kim,
It's probably the increase in processing time as you surmise – but you can confirm that by switching the FSI monitor to fast video processing mode instead of normal. (Just go to the video submenu to change it).

Quick tests on my setup showed that I need about 3 frames less offset in fast mode than in normal.

Return to posts index

Kim Rowley
on Jan 22, 2011 at 10:11:06 am

Thanks for the tip! I'm getting a 3 frame offset.

Return to posts index

Jason Brown
on Feb 25, 2011 at 12:44:57 am

Hey bram,

I feel like an idiot, I didn't see this post before I posted mine...I'll check my offset and see if I have similar experiences...my specs are close to these...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]