Bright blacks, when grading dark scenes how to best approach this

COW Forums : Flanders Scientific

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alessa Reznik
Bright blacks, when grading dark scenes how to best approach this
on Nov 18, 2010 at 10:06:37 pm

Hi there

Im using a 2470 for grading red media in Davinci Resolve
Using default settings calibrated when shipped, all is good but how to best approach surround lighting to help perception of black levels to be closer to CRT, especially when grading dark scenes
I've tried lights behind and around the monitor, but feels like ambient lighting should be coming from all around, from top of operator.I feel that a gentle wash of light should fall on the display to help darken the small luminance present when black feeds the display. Does anyone know how to best setup surround lighting to help achieve black perception to be more accurate

Thanks

Return to posts index

Robbie Carman
Re: Bright blacks, when grading dark scenes how to best approach this
on Nov 21, 2010 at 3:37:33 pm

a good read on this subject and definitive source for the "rules" on surround lighting can be found in the SMPTE document SMPTE RP 166.

This document makes suggestions for a proper viewing environment however the document costs $50 for non SMPTE members.

Also be sure to check out Alan Brown's (owner of cinemaquest) parring down of the suggestions made in the SMPTE document.

http://www.cinemaquestinc.com/ideal_lume.htm

and

http://www.cinemaquestinc.com/ive.htm

I've been using the cinemaquest Ideal Lume products for a longtime now both their pro versions and their panel lights for a client plasma in the room and they meet or exceed the SMPTE recommendations. To have the backlighting work properly its crucial that the surround wall color is correct. Munsel N5 is the ideal as its a true 50% gray. In reality you'll find it difficult to buy true N5 paint. The closest that I've found is the surround paint made by eCinema. At $125/gallon its not cheap but I finally bit the bullet with it as I was sick and tired of experimenting with other brands and formulas to try to get a N5 rendition.

As far as other lighting goes in your room its ok but that lighting should be 1. D65 2. Have a CRI or 90 and above 3. Be no more the 10% of monitor light output (the FSI's come calibrated 35 fL per SMPTE spec) so about 3.5 fL 4. Lighting should not be direct or reflect off the monitor

So you're going to get the opposite effect (increased preception of blacks) if the lighting is from above or pointed at the monitor.

In my own setup besides the Ideal Lume Pro that I use behind my FSI and the Ideal Lume Panel lights around the plasma for my client in the rest of the room near client seating for example I have some very low wattage compact 6500 k fluorescents with CRI of 95 in fixtures that point down towards the floor. Many of them are located behind other fixtures in the room so I have the "glow" of lighting but they're never direct.

Robbie Carman
----------------
Colorist and Author
Check out my new Books:
Video Made on a Mac
Apple Pro Training Series DVDSP
From Still To Motion

Twitter
Blog

Return to posts index

Alessa Reznik
on Nov 22, 2010 at 10:10:59 pm

Thanks Robbie

Have you kept the original settings the unit came aligned to, eg( saturation, brightness, 35fl) or have you done minor tweaks

Thanks again for the info

Return to posts index

Robbie Carman
on Nov 23, 2010 at 3:12:26 pm

I've kept the original settings. My calibration guy comes every month and probes it but its always been on. FSI will realign your monitor at anytime for free you just have to cover the shipping costs.

Robbie Carman
----------------
Colorist and Author
Check out my new Books:
Video Made on a Mac
Apple Pro Training Series DVDSP
From Still To Motion

Twitter
Blog

Return to posts index

Alessa Reznik
on Nov 24, 2010 at 11:20:38 pm

Thanks Robbie for the info

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Dec 7, 2010 at 2:00:00 am

We're going to put some of that lighting in our new suites too thanks to your tips!

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

"Foul Water, Fiery Serpent" Winner, Best Documentary, LA Reel Film Festival...

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]