FORUMS: list search recent posts

LM 1760 vs LM 2460

COW Forums : Flanders Scientific

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kim Rowley
LM 1760 vs LM 2460
on Nov 16, 2010 at 10:32:40 am

I am still teetering in my decision of a monitor for one of our edit suites. Though in Europe I am still heavily considering an FSI solution. In comparing the specs of the 17" and 24" models I see that the difference in price is mainly due to the much greater resolution in the 24" model. I only work with SD and our organization has no immediate plans to work with HD due to the nature of our work. Much of what I color correct are talking heads etc which have very valuable archive value for us so we want the images to look as good as possible. Alot of the material are Digital Betacam transfers from older video formats. I currently use a Sony 20" SDI monitor (PVM - not broadcast). In a case such as mine does the added resolution make all that much difference? I am a non-profit organization that does have budget constraints so before spending double the money I wanted an honest opinion.

Also, if Bram reads this, I see that FSI is doing a European tour though not getting down to Italy. Are there any tantalizing deals available for us over here on this side of the pond?

Dual 3 GHz Dual Core Intel, 4GB RAM, ATI Radeon X1900, Xserve RAID, AJA IO, 2 20" Cinema Display, FCP Studio 2 (6.0.6), OS X10.4.11

Return to posts index

Bram Desmet
Re: LM 1760 vs LM 2460
on Nov 16, 2010 at 1:32:53 pm

The 1760W would probably be better for your application if you are viewing SD almost exclusively. The reasoning is simple, lower resolution means less scaling, less scaling means better quality. So, the 1760W will give you slightly better performance in an exclusively SD environment than the 2460W.

We always offer a 5% discount to non-profit organizations so that is an easy way to save some money on any purchase.

Bram Desmet
FSI (Flanders Scientific, Inc.)
http://www.FlandersScientific.com

Return to posts index

Kim Rowley
on Nov 16, 2010 at 2:29:54 pm

Thanks Bram for your straightforward answer. Our organization is in the early stages of digitizing our archive which has huge historical importance for us. So though we're not talking about feature films we want to get the best results possible. As soon as I get final approval for our order I'll get onto the online store. I'll inquire there as to what is needed to have the non profit discount applied. Hopefully you guys will work your way down to Italy some day. Cheers

Dual 3 GHz Dual Core Intel, 4GB RAM, ATI Radeon X1900, Xserve RAID, AJA IO, 2 20" Cinema Display, FCP Studio 2 (6.0.6), OS X10.4.11

Return to posts index

Mark Spano
on Nov 16, 2010 at 2:49:20 pm

Kim,

One other thing to note with the FSI monitors (both 17" and 24") is that they offer a 1:1 pixel mapping mode. This means that regardless of the native resolution of the monitor, you can view your standard definition video without any scaling. These monitors excel at showing you active video pixel for pixel. I often use the 1:1 mode when working in SD as it is cleaner and sharper.

Return to posts index

Kim Rowley
on Nov 16, 2010 at 2:51:48 pm

Thanks for the great tip Mark. I'll definetely keep that in mind. Best

Return to posts index

Kim Rowley
on Nov 16, 2010 at 3:24:57 pm

Mark, what speakers do you use for audio monitoring? I'm setting up a new workstation (the one with the FSI monitor) and want to replace my decade old JBL control 5's. I am looking at the Genelec 8130 or 8240... Any thoughts on this matter? I know I've deviated the thread but it was mine and the matter was closed. Thanks

Return to posts index

Mark Spano
on Nov 16, 2010 at 3:40:41 pm

These JBLs are our standard for edit suites:

LSR2325P

However, at my desk, I've opted for these:

Blue Sky MediaDesk

A bit more expensive, but the sub makes a nice low end and the whole system is very un-fatiguing.

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Nov 16, 2010 at 4:41:45 pm

[Kim Rowley] "Mark, what speakers do you use for audio monitoring? I'm setting up a new workstation (the one with the FSI monitor) and want to replace my decade old JBL control 5's. I am looking at the Genelec 8130 or 8240... Any thoughts on this matter? I know I've deviated the thread but it was mine and the matter was closed. Thanks"

We're using KRK Rokit 5's in all our edit suites here. Incredible flat sound for mixing at a much lower price than Genelec.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

"Foul Water, Fiery Serpent" Winner, Best Documentary, LA Reel Film Festival...

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

Kim Rowley
on Nov 16, 2010 at 4:59:45 pm

Thanks guys for your time and comments.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]