FORUMS: list search recent posts

Green screen with 5D mkiii anyone?

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jay Levi
Green screen with 5D mkiii anyone?
on Dec 1, 2012 at 4:27:38 pm

Has anyone tested or has footage of greenscreen with a 5d mkiii yet?

also while its a bit off the subject does anyone have a green screen in their studio that rolls up like papar background, i was thinking of making a home studio to shoot in my living room using something that rolls with a chain.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Green screen with 5D mkiii anyone?
on Dec 4, 2012 at 2:07:48 am

Doable but definitely get your lighting great. Paper is ok- not idea though. If you're doing a home studio under less than great lighting I recommend this to make your life much easier in post--

http://www.reflecmedia.com

Noah

Call Box Training.
Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and Panasonic AC160/130.

Return to posts index

Brent Dunn
on Dec 5, 2012 at 2:52:37 pm

There are many inexpensive setups, stands, backgrounds to choose from. If you do this a lot, it's nice to have a permanent solution, but if it's only once in a while, you can buy stands and a background.

B& H has many to choose from as well as Digital Juice.com.

Paper usually has some reflection which can bounce the green back onto your subject. Cloth is better. But like Noah said, get the lighting right.

Brent Dunn
Owner / Director / Editor
DunnRight Films
DunnRight Video.com
Video Marketing Toolbox.net

Sony EX-1,
Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 7D
Mac Pro
with Final Cut Studio Adobe CS6 Production

Return to posts index

Rick Diamond
on Dec 5, 2012 at 3:29:10 pm

The 5DM3 keys very well. Definitely use the All-I codec. Ditto on good lighting.

Rick

Return to posts index

Tim Keeling
on Feb 26, 2013 at 2:26:35 pm

"Definitely use the All-I codec"

Hi Rick,

Thanks – I took your advice when recently shooting green screen with a 5d MKiii. Would you recommend transcoding to ProRes 4444/Pro Res HQ prior to keying?

cheers,

Tim

Return to posts index

Rick Diamond
on Feb 27, 2013 at 12:14:32 am

I would only transcode to ProRes if your NLE requires it (FCP). Premiere will take the 5D files natively. Transcoding will not increase your ability to pull a clean key. To benefit from ProRes, the footage would have to have been recorded directly to this codec.
Ultra Key in Premiere and Keylight in After Effects will both give you great green screen results.

Good luck,

Rick

Return to posts index

Jay Levi
on Dec 5, 2012 at 4:03:50 pm

so far i have 2 quartz 1000 watt lights in huge soft boxes, i got them here: http://www.backdropsource.co.uk/Productinfo.asp?id=711&pname=2000-watts-qua... but with 24x36 inch sized soft boxes http://www.backdropsource.co.uk/Productinfo.asp?id=1150&pname=heat-resistan... , very bright alone and very nice with the boxes, you think i should get another soft box, the co,pany suggested a boom stand with one more box

Return to posts index

David Rehm
on Dec 5, 2012 at 7:43:05 pm

Have you ever considered building your own lights? Jeff Foster, who is considered one of the gurus of keying, gives this instructional video on how to build great lighting for your green screen.

check it out:
http://www.video2brain.com/en/courses/green-screen-workshop-the-shoot

David

Return to posts index

Jay Levi
on Dec 5, 2012 at 8:54:15 pm

i have shot with a single quartz 1000 light and a soft box before using a 5D mkii, when i went to premiere it took one click to get chroma keying perfect, now i have 2 Quartzs lights to make sure the back ground is lit,

this was with one subject btw, i imagine a whole band would need 2 lights front, Boom stand top and back ground to be lit well with an additional 2 lights, 5 point greenscreen system

Return to posts index

David Rehm
on Dec 5, 2012 at 9:36:34 pm

I only use the lights I built (which are 2) to light the screen. I use OnLocation for monitoring and the scopes are in "the" range it needs to be for the best conditions to key.

Whatever works best - use it.

David

Return to posts index

nitin kulkarni
on Dec 6, 2012 at 9:17:57 am

hi,

i want to shoot highly professional green screen video. i am confused between shooting on Canon 5D Mark iii and sony pmw 500 Xdcam hd 422. i want to use 5D but am not sure about its recording format. with H.264 and 4:2:0 will be able to pull of better key? or should i go with sony 500 whic records 4:2:2 for the best results?

:-D
nitin

Return to posts index

charles meadows
on Dec 6, 2012 at 8:34:14 pm

For the best results you go for the highest colour space... 4:2:2 out does 4:2:0. However, you're talking about paper green screen in your living room so I think the colour space conversation is a little "over kill". If you want a half decent key then 90% of it is in the lighting.

"There's no point in filming if you don't have fun"
Charles Meadows
Creative Director
Incubate Productions South Africa
http://www.incubatevideo.co.za

Return to posts index

Jay Levi
on Dec 6, 2012 at 10:08:05 pm

the EX3 seems to be great for a 4:2:0 camera, yes i agree 4:2:2 is the minimum needed for clean keying as many respected professionals put it here in the CC forums, then the lights and camera also can help if the user knows what he is doing evidently the keying in the video link is very clean, 4:2:0

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]