FORUMS: list search recent posts

5D MarkIII Settings

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Norm Hadad
5D MarkIII Settings
on Nov 30, 2012 at 8:36:13 pm

Hi friends. We've been using the 5d MkIII for corporate video going on a few months now and I seem to be running into the same problem. The image seems too soft. No matter the ISO or shutter or aperture. I'm shooting in 30fps usually with a shutter speed of 30. ISO obviously varies. When I edit in FCP 7 it seems like the larger I make the video, the softer it is. When I render it in ProRes422 it is still soft when it is larger. If these videos are shown on a 42"+ monitor the look soft. I'm pretty sure this is user error and I'm new to DSLR shooting so we can do the math :-). Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. Our videos are shown on YouTube for the most part but we've produced a few national commercials that I do not want to be embarrassed showing. Thanks in advance!!!

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
Re: 5D MarkIII Settings
on Dec 1, 2012 at 5:45:02 am

Your posting was too vague for me to offer much help but a few points:

1) Sharpness can be adjusted in camera, check the settings for the mode you are shooting in

2) Sharpness can be added in post using Final Cut Pro

The video may APPEAR softer in FCP than it actually is while you are editing it but then once you export it, - it's fine,

3) Assuming you are filming in 1080p - what is the purpose for resizing the video? Resizing to make the frame dimensions larger will make the image softer

4) Are you sure the original footage isn't soft to begin with? Have you checked the raw footage and does it look okay to you?

Steve Crow
Crow Digital Media
http://www.CrowDigitalMedia.com

Return to posts index

Brent Dunn
on Dec 5, 2012 at 2:55:36 pm

Here are a few things to check;

1. YOu have to nail your focus. Use the focus assist button to lock in the focus. If you uses an external monitor, it will help you do a better job.

2. Your lens or sensor may be dirty, clean them. Also, try two different lenses to see if that's the problem.

If it isn't one of the two, then you may have to send it back to Canon.

Brent Dunn
Owner / Director / Editor
DunnRight Films
DunnRight Video.com
Video Marketing Toolbox.net

Sony EX-1,
Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 7D
Mac Pro
with Final Cut Studio Adobe CS6 Production

Return to posts index

Norm Hadad
on Dec 5, 2012 at 3:46:16 pm

Thanks for the response Brent. We just decided to invest in a monitor but I was trying to get it locked in without it first. I have used the autofocus assist and it still seems a little soft. I have not cleaned the sensors but I think that may be my next step. Thanks again for your help.

Return to posts index

Norm Hadad
on Dec 5, 2012 at 3:43:10 pm

Thanks for these tips. Not sure how to adjust the sharpness on my camera though. As far as resizing the image, I meant I would increase the size of the window in FCP to view the video. I am shooting in 1080p. The video seems quite soft to me but I'm not sure if its the sensor or just the way it is supposed to look. I've tried autofocus and the magnifier to check my focus but it still seems soft. And 'm sure its not my eyes!! If you have any suggestions for camera settings I would be quite grateful. I started using DSLR professionally only 3 months ago and I am eager to learn more. Thanks for your help Steve.

Return to posts index

Mark Shepherd
on Dec 12, 2012 at 8:06:28 pm

I am a Canon 5D Mark111 user (for 6 months) and I agree the video is soft. Much softer than we are used to seeing when we see it on the large monitors. A Sony EX1 or 3 will look sharper than the Canon. Phillip Bloom addresses this issue on one of his reports and his suggestion is to turn the sharpness DOWN all the way while shooting, and then and only then add sharpness NOT using FCP, but Adobe Premier Pro. Go figure... The sharpness sucks on the Canon 5D mark111 because of the anti alising filter that they have installed and the codex H264 that they are using. I have made numerous Time lapse videos with the mrk111 using LOW RES stills (1920x 1080) S2 setting and the sharpness of the finished video is 225.34 per cent sharper than the real time H264 out of the camera. We are talking National Geographic sharp!! There is not any easy solution for this problem that Canon created. Her is a link to Bloome http://philipbloom.net/2012/04/09/5dmk3/

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]