FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sony A99

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rob Manning
Sony A99
on Nov 30, 2012 at 9:53:05 am

My associate hemmed and hawed, between the 36MP D800, borrowed mine and test drove it. 4.2.2 out.

He shoots video, and is selling his Sony FS100.

Stopped by on Wednesday, had picked up the A99, w/Zeiss 16/35 Sony lens.

The reason, it tracks faces and objects without the lens noise, and is based in the sensor not on an external motor and 4.2.2 out.

He still will want to use the D800 (borrow) for stills shoots, but as an owner of the D800 and HD2, I'm a little envious for the zoom functions but, can't have it all.

He also snagged the Ninja 2, nice and is headed to Italy for a documentary hand held POV shoot.

Very cool set up!

Return to posts index

John Frey
Re: Sony A99
on Nov 30, 2012 at 4:52:28 pm

I am curious to find out how he rates the A99 overall after a project or two. I have the ASPC based A65 and am looking at the full-frame A99. Some early feedback from several serious videographers, who have purchased the A99, suggest some inconsistencies with overall picture quality, and these users are using Zeiss primes. One also posted footage from both his A99 and D800 on the same shoot, with the D800 getting the nod for a sharper overall look. Shooters using the A99 for stills have nothing bu praise. Let us know how he rates the A99.

John D. Frey
25 Year owner/operator of two California-based production studios.

Digital West Video Productions of San Luis Obispo and Inland Images of Lake Elsinore

Return to posts index

Bill Bruner
on Dec 2, 2012 at 1:17:40 pm

+1 - I'd like to see feedback from your friend too. My GH3 has silent tracking autofocus as well - but it's certainly not full frame. Interesting that he would sell the Super 35 FS100 to get tracking autofocus and, presumably, the "full frame look".

Cheers,

Bill

Return to posts index

Chip Doss
on Dec 10, 2012 at 5:04:49 am

I currently have an A99, FS100 and a 60D. The 60D is not even in the ball park so I am not going to even talk about it. Selling it on Ebay. We did side by side comparison of the A99 and FS100 and found that the A99 seems to have a little better dynamic range with some tweaking and yes I have reworked my FS100 loved its dynamic range with some adjustments too. The FS100 actually had more aliasing on a chair we had in the shot and the A99 had little to none. Now if you have image stabilization or crop on the a99 the image looks like garbage and have seen some people griping about this, basically if you turn off all the setting and features you will get awesome video quality. I also did my test with a bit of a soft lens the Tokina 80-200mm f2.8 and it makes for a softer image but looks awesome. I am a dealer for BMD and will be using the BMD M43 camera when it comes out some day and think the Minolta mount is perfect with an M43 adapter that has and aperture ring. The minolta mount still has manual aperture control unlike all the others. So I am going that direction so I can have some good lenses with the a99 and BMD Cinema Camera M43 and not have duplicate lenses. I will be doing another hour or two of testing in the morning, but have sold the FS100 over the weekend and will do a final test before shipping it out. So let me know if you want me to try anything in the morning before saying goodbye to the FS100.

Chip Doss
Edgemont Video, Inc.
http://www.edgemontvideo.com

Return to posts index

Rob Manning
on Dec 10, 2012 at 12:29:40 am

Johna and Bill, I'll be seeing him this week. Stay tuned.

Rob

Return to posts index

Ryan Douthit
on Dec 21, 2012 at 5:11:21 am

Any update on this? I'm considering either an FS100 or the A99 so I'm kind of trying to make the same decision - but without the benefit of having either to use in person. Thanks!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]