FORUMS: list search recent posts

Canon 60D Event Filming (HDMI Output + Sleep Mode)

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tom Wille
Canon 60D Event Filming (HDMI Output + Sleep Mode)
on Nov 16, 2012 at 5:25:29 pm

Hello Creative Cow Community,

I've been contracted to shoot a live point-and-shoot event with two cameras. Both are mandated to pick up audio and HD Video. One of my cameras is pretty much made for live event shooting so that is not a problem. However, my only other camera, and I'm sure you all know as well, is not made for live event shooting.

I was wondering if anyone here had any ideas in regards to the problems I'm facing:

1. The 60D will be hooked up via mini HDMI -> HDMI to an external hard drive recorder, the 60D itself will not be setup to record. That recorder will have an output going to a monitor to solve for the 60D screen going to black while the HDMI is plugged in. However, I just did some tests with my TV and it looks like all of the text on the screen is transferred as well. Why? And is there a solution to this?

1a. Even though I have my camera setup for not going into sleep mode. It seems to want to do it anyways after 30 minutes. The only solution I've found is to press something like the info button once or twice to "reset" the sleep mode. Can the fix for #1 and this solution for this problem coexist?

2. I hooked up a microphone to my 60D and then ran the mini HDMI -> HDMI to my TV. My TV wasn't picking up audio whatsoever. Is this just impossible to run audio through the HDMI from the 60D?

I appreciate any insight to these problems.

Thanks,

Tom

Return to posts index

John Young
Re: Canon 60D Event Filming (HDMI Output + Sleep Mode)
on Nov 16, 2012 at 8:53:31 pm

The 60D does not have clean HDMI out. No matter what you do you will not be able to get rid of the overlay on the HDMI output.

There is no way to achieve what you are trying to do on the 60D.

Return to posts index

Tom Wille
on Nov 16, 2012 at 9:21:16 pm

I figured this was the case, I just wanted to confirm it. Thanks for your help, time to look for a renter cam!

Return to posts index

Cor Pallanck
on Jul 23, 2014 at 7:49:55 pm

Magic Lantern can get rid of the overlays but the output is still cropped a little. If you are using a program where you can resize the live output it should be no problem.

Return to posts index

Raphael Bittencourt
on May 15, 2013 at 2:20:56 pm

disagreeing with the other answer I have to say that: yes, there is a way to get a clean output through hdmi in 60D.... but you have to install Magic Lantern.

See this trhead on Magic Lantern website discussing the exact same problem of yours:

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=4033.0

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]