FORUMS: list search recent posts

Canon 60D movie mode question

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lauren Brogan
Canon 60D movie mode question
on Nov 13, 2012 at 1:41:58 pm

Hey,

I recently purchased my Canon 60D (which is my first DSLR btw) both for photography and video shooting but I'm steering more towards interest in video. As of right now I'm still learning about lenses for certain lighting, what kind of shoot etc i don't really know too much.

I got a twins lenses kit with my camera which has EFS 55-250MM Macro 1.1m/3.6ft and EFS 18.55MM Macro 0.25m/0.8ft which I consider useless with video (I hear they aren't considered very good lenses in general)

My question is for starting out what would be some different lenses to consider purchasing for filming?
I'd like to experiment with both indoor and outdoor as well low lighting and bright lighting so if possible recommended lenses for each environment as I don't plan on sticking to just music videos or documentaries, or short films. In short I plan on learning by experience with different kinds of shoots and then seeing what I enjoy doing more as of right now it all interests me and iphone recording doesn't really count lol.

From some research I've seen that a 50mm lens is recommended a lot as it's affordable and suppose to be a good one to start with so I was thinking about looking at that but I thought I'd ask for some recommendations/info or pretty much any kind of advice. Also it's a hobby more than anything right now, but I'm interested in making a career out of it aside from doing web development.

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
Re: Canon 60D movie mode question
on Nov 13, 2012 at 3:30:50 pm

The Canon 50mm 1.4 lens is a great lens to have and it's at the lower end of pricing for quality lenses, it's selling now for $400 but with with a $60 rebate:

http://www.samys.com/p/Lenses---Normal/2515A003/EF-50mm-f/1.4-USM-Lens/5138...

A nice wide angle lens - around a 24mm would be a great investment too for filmmkaing. Many people who enjoy using zoom lenses want the 24-70mm lenses which come in a variety of configurations. In fact I think there is a newer one from Canon that has a constant aperture of 4.0 and comes with vibration control/internal stabilization. There's also a 2.8 constant aperture version of that same lens without the stabilization.

I also came from a Web background into video so I think the transition can be a great one.

Steve Crow
Crow Digital Media
http://www.CrowDigitalMedia.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]