FORUMS: list search recent posts

Tripod for video .. does a spreader really combat bounce? Pls Give Your Opinions!!!!

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joel Dalls
Tripod for video .. does a spreader really combat bounce? Pls Give Your Opinions!!!!
on Nov 7, 2012 at 3:30:13 pm

Hi: I am looking to upgrade to a Miller tripod/fluid head system and have been reading about some complaints that without a spreader, I may experience some bounce in pans/tilts.

I like the Miller System DS-10 Solo DV Carbon Fiber System, DS-10 Fluid Head, with Solo DV 1501 Carbon Fiber Tripod -- the tripod is light and has retractable spiked feet....but obviously no spreader.

Would anyone who has an opinion on the importance of a spreader in a video tripod chime in?

This is a big purchase for me and I don't want to screw it up.

Thx!!!!!!!

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
Re: Tripod for video .. does a spreader really combat bounce? Pls Give Your Opinions!!!!
on Nov 7, 2012 at 9:57:27 pm

What camera are you putting on this thing and what kind of shooting will you be doing?

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media
Video production... with style!

Check out my Mormon.org profile.

Return to posts index

charles meadows
Re: Tripod for video .. does a spreader really combat bounce? Pls Give Your Opinions!!!!
on Nov 8, 2012 at 10:33:35 am

If you're shoving a small camera like a DSLR on it, then no problem. If you're shoving a DSLR with the extra bells and whistles then not a good idea. If you like the head then buy the head. Try and get a set of legs that give you the option of using the spreader when needed.

Charles Meadows
Creative Director
Incubate Productions
http://www.incubatevideo.co.za

Return to posts index

Joel Dalls
on Nov 8, 2012 at 3:16:52 pm

Hi, I am shooting a Canon 5D MK III with a grip. As I sit here thinking about it, that would probably be about it.

Instead of my matte box, I would probably just use a lens hood and screw on filter.

I do shoot L glass and I do own the 70-200 f2.8 II, so that would be another factor.

Still think I need a spreader with that amount of maximum weight? What would that be ...I am guessing 4+ pounds?

Many thanks.

Return to posts index

charles meadows
on Nov 8, 2012 at 3:53:58 pm

Joe you've got to get what you want to get. The one thing I know from my experience is I'd rather have gear that is versatile.

"There's no point in filming in you don't have fun"
Charles Meadows
Creative Director
Incubate Productions South Africa

Return to posts index

Joel Dalls
on Nov 8, 2012 at 4:44:13 pm

Good idea about getting a tripod that lets you dismount the spreader.. are you aware of a manufacturor that makes that type?

Return to posts index

charles meadows
on Nov 8, 2012 at 5:05:09 pm

We use Manfrotto and Libec tripods. Both allow us to remove the spreader. Go and have a look at bhphotovideo.com

"There's no point in filming in you don't have fun"
Charles Meadows
Creative Director
Incubate Productions South Africa

Return to posts index

Brent Dunn
on Nov 9, 2012 at 3:53:44 pm

For a heavy camera, yes, they do help with stability. Your head is probably more of a factor. With DSLR and a rig it still isn't heavy enough to make much difference.

Brent Dunn
Owner / Director / Editor
DunnRight Films
DunnRight Video.com
Video Marketing Toolbox.net

Sony EX-1,
Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 7D
Mac Pro Tower, Quad Core,
with Final Cut Studio

HP i7 Quad laptop
Adobe CS-5 Production Suite