FORUMS: list search recent posts

Getting 24p to look good on DVD

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Casey Petersen
Getting 24p to look good on DVD
on Oct 30, 2012 at 4:25:32 pm

Many people love DSLR technology and have been shooting 24p to get the film look everyone seems to love.

I shoot 24p on Canon 7D and 60D (convert to ProRes using Philip Bloom's MPEG Streamclip workflow), edit in 24p and export my final edit to a 24p self contained QuickTime. It looks pretty good on screen, looks pretty good on Vimeo, but looks awful on DVD (I use Compressor's presets for DVD).

The problem is it is not smooth at all between the frames, giving it a very stuttery look...you just don't see that on Hollywood DVDs...even movies with lots of high speed action...it is very smooth between the frames, and I simply cannot figure out how to get it to look right, and I'm even struggling to find the correct way to describe it...persistence of vision, perhaps?

Any idea what part of the process I'm missing? Maybe a step requiring Cinema Tools? Adding pulldown?

Thanks!
Casey

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
Re: Getting 24p to look good on DVD
on Oct 31, 2012 at 3:31:56 am

23.976 with wwssw 3:2 pulldown should work for standard dvd.

Return to posts index

Casey Petersen
on Oct 31, 2012 at 2:10:00 pm

I don't know what you mean by wwssw. Is adding the pulldown a step in the workflow...something that isn't automatically done when converting to MPEG2?

Return to posts index

Ken Jones
on Oct 31, 2012 at 7:18:29 pm

Regarding the flicker: the problem is introduced when scaling from HD (1920) to DVD (720). If you are using Compressor to compress your media to m2v, turn Frame Controls on, and change the Resize Filter to "Best". All the other settings can stay on "Fast".

BTW - it took me YEARS to figure this out. I purchased (Innobits BitVice) or tried every possible DVD compression software and spent dozens of hours trying to alleviate the issue. I scoured these forums and asked questions and was given all kinds of advice - none of it worked until I did the above.

Return to posts index

David Rehm
on Nov 1, 2012 at 4:49:07 pm

hello, This is a frustrating problem. Compressor and Adobe Media Encoder do not have the capabilities to convert from HD to standard DVD and have the quality be at a professional and acceptable level. Everything was fine and peaceful when shooting with my Canon GL2 - never a problem until HD. Last year I made the switch to a DSLR and am having the same problem.

Here is a guaranteed method to work and you'll get crystal clear professional results. Don't be intimidated by the process. Test it on a 5 minute clip. And the greater news is it has much shorter render times. Here is the link
http://www.precomposed.com/blog/2009/07/hd-to-sd-dvd-best-methods/

I use Adobe Media Encoder. It has an option for Frame Blending - a pure waste of time - literally. Not only is the final result unacceptable but it can add hours onto your render times. From what I hear Compressor has the same problem.

You'll be pleased with the results.

David R.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Nov 5, 2012 at 7:21:45 pm

[Casey Petersen] "The problem is it is not smooth at all between the frames, giving it a very stuttery look...you just don't see that on Hollywood DVDs...even movies with lots of high speed action...it is very smooth between the frames, and I simply cannot figure out how to get it to look right..."

When you use Compressor, what's the frame rate? Are you using DVD Studio Pro for authoring, which is capable of making 24p DVDs?

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Casey Petersen
on Nov 5, 2012 at 7:29:16 pm

After a bit of research, I think the issue at hand is that of pulldown, and that creating 24p DVDs with Compressor and DVD Studio Pro and letting the DVD player do the work, is the source of my dissatisfaction and unhappiness with the results.

I am a bit unfamiliar with pulldown so I googled a bit, and am a little more informed than before.

I tried a workflow where I let After Effects do the pulldown, and the motion results were what I was looking for, but then I got the poor Compressor quality results (long story...basically the resizing issue), so perhaps doing that in conjunction with the workflow that David Rehm suggested, might be a better solution. I will have to try it when I have time. Maybe even finding a demo of a high end encoder, something that might let me encode a minute or so, that would be a good test as well.

Thanks!
Casey

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Nov 5, 2012 at 9:19:31 pm

I'd double-check the camera instruction manual. Many DSLRs are capable of shooting at 23.976 frames/sec (aka 23.98, aka 24pn) and would NOT contain any pulldown.

There's a simple way to check: what's the frame rate of the footage in your editing application?

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]