FORUMS: list search recent posts

Speaking of the ATR3350...noise problems

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Casey Petersen
Speaking of the ATR3350...noise problems
on Oct 23, 2012 at 8:31:32 pm

I have the Audio Technica ATR3350 mic, and I have used it 3 times in the past few months. This last time I used it, I had this weird noise throughout most of my clip. I recorded for 60 minutes, and this problem was happening about 75% of the time.

Right click on this link to download a 1 minute mp3 of what I was getting.

I recorded this today on a Zoom H1 and this was in a completely different location (15 miles away), and using a different Zoom H1 recorder than I used the last time. So that should eliminate any kind of interference or recorder issues. Plus, I changed the battery as well.

Anyone else ever have this problem?

Thanks!
Casey

Return to posts index

David Rehm
Re: Speaking of the ATR3350...noise problems
on Oct 25, 2012 at 8:47:21 pm

I just looked the mic up you are using and realized the mic cost less than $20. There is an old saying that sometimes "you get what you pay for". However, with that aside, the background noise could be removed pretty easily with Audition (or even Soundbooth).

I have an Audio Technica lavalier (2000 series) that I bought 2 or 3 years ago for around $350. It's far from their top model but it works very well. I use it with my Tascam DR-40. You may want to invest in something better.

David R.

Return to posts index

Casey Petersen
on Oct 25, 2012 at 9:18:01 pm

Yeah, I know it's a cheap mic, but I know a few people who have these and swear by them. One of them, I emailed my clip to, and he said he's never had that problem with his, so I'm guessing mine must be defective. The first two times I used it, I got flawless results, so something must have happened somewhere somehow.

I tried removing the background noise with Audition, Apple Soundtrack Pro, and Sound Soap, and didn't really get great results since it wasn't a constant frequency...it was fluctuating quite a bit.

Thanks!
Casey

Return to posts index

Bob Mentzer
on Dec 16, 2013 at 8:49:31 pm

My ATR-3350 started making this buzz/rumble noise after a few uses on my Panasonic HCV700M camcorder. Tried a new battery, checked connections, etc. still comes and goes. I sent a link to your sound sample to Audio Technica asking for a resolution, and they asked me to try the mic in a computer or other device and if it still does it to send it in for repair (at my cost because I'm sure it is out of the warranty period). Yeah, for $18 I just ordered another one on Amazon and will see if it is any better.

Return to posts index

Casey Petersen
on Dec 16, 2013 at 9:10:51 pm

Actually, I ended up getting a new one, it sounds a bit better...no weird hum at least, but still obviously not as clean as a mic that costs $500. I haven't really used it enough to say whether it is good enough for some situations or not.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]