FORUMS: list search recent posts

COMPACT FLASH or SD CARDS

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marcus Pimentel
COMPACT FLASH or SD CARDS
on Oct 22, 2012 at 2:25:57 pm

What produces better quality video CF cards or SD cards? Also does brand matter? Sandisk, PNY? are they all the same? Which is CF or SD CARD brands are best for HD DSLR video?

Return to posts index

Brent Dunn
Re: COMPACT FLASH or SD CARDS
on Oct 22, 2012 at 4:14:32 pm

What produces better quality video CF cards or SD cards?
The cards have nothing to do with video quality. It's the camera and lenses.

Also does brand matter? Sandisk, PNY? are they all the same? Which is CF or SD CARD brands are best for HD DSLR video?

I've been very happy with Sandisk Extreme Class 10, extreme pro or extreme cards.

I've used Transcend, but had some issues in the past. PNY may be cheaper, but so is the quality. I'd rather pay a little more for proven brands shooting HD Video.

Brent Dunn
Owner / Director / Editor
DunnRight Films
DunnRight Video.com
Video Marketing Toolbox.net

Sony EX-1,
Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 7D
Mac Pro Tower, Quad Core,
with Final Cut Studio

HP i7 Quad laptop
Adobe CS-5 Production Suite

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
on Oct 22, 2012 at 6:03:59 pm

I would say brand does matter but to what extent is unclear. For instance, I use Transcend which is a known, respected company but is not on the first tier of SD manufacturers where you find companies like SanDisk, Kingston etc.

To be honest, the cards always FEEL to be a weak link in my production chain, may because they are so small. IF they fail you are pretty much screwed although some have had limited success using disc recovery services. Sometimes you may not even know you've had a failure until its too late. Ideally I playback every shot on my camera after its recorded but in the real world that doesn't happen 100% of the time - it's a risk I live with.

Steve Crow
Crow Digital Media
http://www.CrowDigitalMedia.com

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Oct 22, 2012 at 9:58:58 pm

Always been a Sandisk man- never had any issues. Just make sure you get at least the minimum recommended read/write speed for the camera- if not max out because data rates will always be on the rise.

Noah

Call Box Training.
Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and Panasonic AC160/130.

Return to posts index

Marcus Pimentel
on Oct 24, 2012 at 5:51:00 pm

Thanks guys, I heard SD cards brand matters, because the cheaps ones stop automatically, like the PNY ones that I have would stop numbers times.

Return to posts index

Michael Hendrix
on Nov 1, 2012 at 1:38:21 pm

I think brand does matter. CF and SD cards are electronic equipment. All companies have a max failure rate in the manufacturing process, sometimes a cheaper brand will accept a higher fail rate which will produce a higher yield and drive the cost down. What this means to you, is, the chance of you getting a product that fails is greater. How will you know? You cant. Best bet is to read reviews and suggestions (like the ones here)and dive in.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]