FORUMS: list search recent posts

ATR-3350 wired lav mic + Zoom H4n internal mic NOT possible??!! :-(

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jim Elliott
ATR-3350 wired lav mic + Zoom H4n internal mic NOT possible??!! :-(
on Oct 18, 2012 at 10:06:28 pm

So I got a H4N and an Audio Technica 3350 lav mic thinking that I could use a 1/8 female > 1/4 male adapter from the 3350 going into the XLR/jack input while simultaneously recording from the internal mics on the H4n (using the 4 channel-mode) - the idea being the 3350 is the main audio, with the internal H4n as backup.

HOWEVER, it seems the idea of using the 1/8" > 1/4" adapter from the 3350 to go into the H4n XLR/jack simply doesn't work, as this input is for line level instruments/mics only (or something like that)

So what now? I wanted a lav mic + backup from the H4n but it seems i can only do this if I now get a lav with XLR output.

Alternatively, I just get 2 H1's instead, one for the 3350 lav and one for backup audio. But then I don't have XLR capability in the future and i also have to monitor 2 audio recorders

Confusingly i have seen videos that seem to successfully use a 1/8 > 1/4 adapter like this one -

Return to posts index

Jim Elliott
Re: ATR-3350 wired lav mic + Zoom H4n internal mic NOT possible??!! :-(
on Oct 19, 2012 at 2:11:50 pm

yeah, i've just bought one of those, am 50/50 as to whether it will work. It should do, but we'll see. If not I may seriously consider getting 2 h1's for the price of my h4n

Return to posts index

John Frey
on Oct 19, 2012 at 3:17:21 pm

The XLR to mini jack adapter that I had would not pass the signal. This one did.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/387850-REG/Rode_VXLR_VXLR_Mono_Mini_J...

John D. Frey
25 Year owner/operator of two California-based production studios.

Digital West Video Productions of San Luis Obispo and Inland Images of Lake Elsinore

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
on Oct 19, 2012 at 3:26:35 pm

Yeah I think it is because the Rode adapter is set up for a mono signal from the mini plug coming off the lav versus a stereo input.

Steve Crow
Crow Digital Media
http://www.CrowDigitalMedia.com

Return to posts index

Jim Elliott
on Oct 20, 2012 at 1:24:27 pm

ok, the adapter worked! nice one. However, one more problem - I am recording using the 4 channel mode using the 2 internal mics and the left XLR only. The left XLR is only recording in mono (left side) and produces a stereo file, with the right side just dead.

When the unit is in 'stereo' mode i can copy across this mono signal using the 'mono mix' setting, giving me a sort of dual mono (l & r) file, but this 'mono mix' option is not available on the 4 channel menu???

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
on Oct 20, 2012 at 1:38:51 pm

Yeo that is how it is supposed to work - it is saving that other now blank channel for the 4th audio source which you are not using. Very easy to fix during editing either by turning that single audio track into a stereo track or by simply copying and pasting it into another track and making the twin tracks stereo.

Steve Crow
Crow Digital Media
http://www.CrowDigitalMedia.com

Return to posts index

Brian Siano
on May 14, 2015 at 2:19:05 am

I just tried to do a recording using a Zoom H4N, two Audio Technica ATR-3350 lapel mikes, and two Rode 3.5mm-to-XLR adapters. Set the recorder for four-track recording (two tracks from the built-in mikes, two from the lavs) and they just didn't work.

The sound levels were nonexistent. Tapping the lapel mikes got me a _little_ boost on their level meters, but that was it.

I managed to get usable tracks with the Zoom's mikes, but in the future, I'd really like to be able to record with a lapel mike as well as with the on-board mikes.

I've also tried using a 3.5mm-to-1.4" adapter, and again, no signal.

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
on May 14, 2015 at 3:44:09 am

The lav mic itself needs to be powered in order to work - for instance a "body pack" style lav mic such as I have from Senheisser , the EW-G2 if I remember the model number correctly. Simply plugging it in directly to the Zoom won't work. In my wireless system, the lav mic sends the audio signal via radio to the receiver pack which is powered. What I do then is connect the receiver pac (also powered) to my H4N using a XLR connector.

Steve Crow

Return to posts index

Brian Siano
on May 14, 2015 at 10:10:19 pm

The A-T 3350 is powered, with a small battery. Thing is, others have reported an ability to use these tools together, so I'm wondering what I'm doing wrong.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]